Cowser and Mullins Triples Timing

Filmstudy

Cowser was going all out the whole way and slid head first.  Timed as 339 clicks from contact to touch at 3B, 11.30 seconds by the same method I use to time for ATS for analysis of the Ravens defense.

Mullins was 338 clicks (11.27 seconds) despite getting a stand-up sign roughly 30 feet from 3rd base and slowing down considerably.  He was really flying around 2nd.

It's worth a comparison to have stopwatch measurements by both and if you want to try this method from your DirecTV DVR, hit pause then FF one "frame" at a time with 30 clicks = 1 sec.  Need to make sure your remote has good batteries and you have an unobstructed LoS to the receiver so you don't have dud clicks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

And just like that, Westburg triples in 334 clicks (11.13 seconds).  He cost himself about .13 seconds by having his right foot go over the bag in the air and making first contact with his left knee/shin.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Westburg actually has eclipsed Gunnar and now has second best average sprint speed on the team behind Mateo.

image.thumb.png.535a3cc3beab0f77adc361cc48901329.png

Absolutely shocked to see Stowers that high. He was plodding last year. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Our team speed is one of my favorite parts of this team.

I agree.  This brand of baseball is so much more fun than older, slower, less athletic players.  

Speed is just fun.  Doesn’t matter the sport.  Fun things happen when you run fast.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Cowser was going all out the whole way and slid head first.  Timed as 339 clicks from contact to touch at 3B, 11.30 seconds by the same method I use to time for ATS for analysis of the Ravens defense.

Mullins was 338 clicks (11.27 seconds) despite getting a stand-up sign roughly 30 feet from 3rd base and slowing down considerably.  He was really flying around 2nd.

It's worth a comparison to have stopwatch measurements by both and if you want to try this method from your DirecTV DVR, hit pause then FF one "frame" at a time with 30 clicks = 1 sec.  Need to make sure your remote has good batteries and you have an unobstructed LoS to the receiver so you don't have dud clicks.

Ken - as usual, thought provoking and interesting.  I once had a professor ask me years ago in college: if you could spend the rest of your life on an island with 5 people, who would they be.  You would certainly be on the list.  I could talk Ravens/Os for ever.

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

I agree.  This brand of baseball is so much more fun than older, slower, less athletic players.  

Speed is just fun.  Doesn’t matter the sport.  Fun things happen when you run fast.

I admired the Rays for years for many reasons but one thing I loved about their style of play was the pressure they would put on the defense with their speed.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I admired the Rays for years for many reasons but one thing I loved about their style of play was the pressure they would put on the defense with their speed.

Yep.

This said, I'd like to see our guys attempting to steal more bases.

I think we’ve had many teams that had fewer triples in an entire season than this one has compiled in 64 games.  It’s fun to watch them go.   

@Filmstudy, I’m hoping to see more times determined on the click method as the season goes along!   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we’ve had many teams that had fewer triples in an entire season than this one has compiled in 64 games.  It’s fun to watch them go.   

@Filmstudy, I’m hoping to see more times determined on the click method as the season goes along!   

Wasn't there one season in which they had zero (or close to it) at the break?

2016 team had six.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

10 O’s teams, in fact, had fewer triples over the course of a full season than the 16 we currently have. 

7 of those 10, predictably, were teams between 2011 and 2021. The other three were 1981, 1986, and 1998. I was around for that 1998 team — painfully old and slow team. Brady Anderson was the only one who mustered more than 1 triple.

As noted by @Can_of_corn above, the 2016 team had 6 triples all year. That’s the second lowest total all-time for a team that played 162 games (the 2017 Blue Jays had only 5 triples). Not one player on that team had multiple triples — the team lead was a 6-way tie between Matt Wieters, Nolan Reimold, Hyun-Soo Kim, Manny Machado, Jonathan Schoop, and Chris Davis. 

Talk about a night and day difference, in a matter of 8 years, in terms of overall team speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Not technically a triple, but Mountcastle got to 3rd base on 2B plus Soto error in 346 clicks (11.53 seconds).  I did not have a good sense of whether he hesitated going into 2nd.

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2024 at 12:00 AM, e16bball said:

the team lead was a 6-way tie between Matt Wieters, Nolan Reimold, Hyun-Soo Kim, Manny Machado, Jonathan Schoop, and Chris Davis. 

And you just gotta think that someone in the outfield fell down for four of the six.  Only two of those guys were "fast."

8 hours ago, ChipTait said:

And you just gotta think that someone in the outfield fell down for four of the six.  Only two of those guys were "fast."

Reimold was deceptively fast. You'd look at him and think slow, but he had a crazy amount of infield hits.

Wieters, Kim, and Davis were slow. I thought Machado and Schoop were pretty average. Maybe above average when they were young.