Hmm… so about that qualifying offer to Santander?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Offering the QO doesn't mean he is limited. He can still be offered and say yes to a long term deal. The QO ensure if he says no you end up with a draft pick in the worst case scenario. 

This ^^^^^^
We don’t know what kind of deal he wants yet.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Depends if Kjerstad is traded. 

Even if Kjerstad is traded where will Mayo play? I like what AS brings especially to the clubhouse, but we have to create opportunities for these guys. Especially as there is no one pitcher on the market worthy of trading Mayo IMO

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Why does he have to be limited to a QO. He should be signed to a contract after the season. We are literally paying NO ONE. The 3/4 year deal that he will get probably will not exceed 50 million. 

He is showing no signs of decline and appears to be improving as a hitter (late bloomer). His retention also allows us to trade a prospect with a similar projectable skillset which IMO could bring back a difference making type player.

No thanks, I'm not really interested in reliving the Mark Trumbo era. Offer the QO and nothing more.

If he accepts it, cool.

If he doesn't, cool.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised to see so many posters wanting to give him a contract extension after his current hot streak.  I see no harm in giving the QO and seeing if he takes it or not.  But why take a chance on a big contract for a guy in his 30s who will most likely be declining in those years when we have two outstanding prospects in Kjerstad and Mayo who could take over RF next season?  Isn't that the point of drafting Kjerstad 2nd overall to take over for an expensive soon to be declining veteran??  Yes, I know we "should" have money to spend this offseason....but I want every penny going to pitching....we have tons of position player options in our system already.

Just checking on Tony’s age . He is 29 with his next birthday this October 19 . So he be 30 next spring training .

If we want give him an extension instead of QO , how many years would we  go for ?

Edited by Allan Bryant

26 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

Unless they trade a couple guys, no way they are spending money on him. That money will go for pitching.

They are paying him 12 million this year so it would only be a 4 million raise per year. Also 2-3 years does not affect Gunnar and Adley. If you look at Witt JR contract the raises kick in after arbitration does.

4 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Just checking on Tony’s age . He is 29 with his next birthday this October 19 . So he be 30 next spring training .

If we want give him an extension instead of QO , how many years would we  go for ?

I would go up to 4 no problem.  He is the type of hitter who is probably going to be just as good or even better that he is now into his low to mid 30s.  Kind of reminds me of Nelson Cruz.  Who I was begging the Os to resign......which everyone on here hated the idea of as I remember.  :)

Pepperidge Farms remembers....

It is kinda scary the similarities to Mark Trumbo. Trumbo had that huge contract year at age 30 with 47 HR and his career OPS sat at 776 before we resigned him and he fell off a cliff. Santander in the middle of his hot streak is at 772 OPS career. I doubt Santander will fall from grace like Trumbo, but he's also a (basically) bat only player with extreme cold streaks and injuries.

• Upvote 1

If we think Mayo can play RF, there's less reason to re-sign Santander.  Agree that a QO is a no-brainer at this point, though.   

I would like to see Mayo getting more opportunities in RF in Norfolk--Westburg should be considered a fixture at 3B.    

To me, offering the QO is a no brainer. More than that for Tony depends (to me) on what our plans are for Mullins and Hays going forward and do we think in house options can replace in kind. Mullins is my favorite but I'm getting Jackie Bradley vibes. Hays is not someone I can easily feel comfortable about. Cowser & Co. still have a lot to prove. Tony has warts but if I didn't feel we had in house in kind, I'd offer three years - 55 million. 

Just now, G54377 said:

It is kinda scary the similarities to Mark Trumbo

Yeah, I went to post that comparison but chose to take a quick look at bbref first to make sure my memory was accurate and was surprised to find out that it was an even more accurate comp than I had initially thought. An expensive multiyear extension for a 30 year old Santander when we have Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers, Mayo, and Beavers on-hand as potential replacements and Dean Kremer and Cole Irvin are our current projected #2 and #3 SPs for opening day 2025 would be utterly insane and irresponsible.

Thankfully, nothing in Mike Elias's track record suggests that this idea will seriously be considered, so if Santander is an Oriole next year, it will be because he accepted the QO.

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If we think Mayo can play RF, there's less reason to re-sign Santander.  Agree that a QO is a no-brainer at this point, though.   

I would like to see Mayo getting more opportunities in RF in Norfolk--Westburg should be considered a fixture at 3B.    

There are plenty of paths the front office can take where re-signing Santander makes sense. They could non-tender or trade Hays, Mullins, or Mountcastle. They could decline the option on O’Hearn. Any of those moves will open up space for Mayo, Kjerstad, etc. if those players are still here after the deadline. I’m sure whatever the front office does will be based on projections and value to the clubgouse (from what I understand they value his clubhouse presence highly).

They have basically told us what they think about Santander for years by both playing him everyday and not trading him. I tend to agree with SG that he will be extended for 3 years at an AAV less than the QO, but we’ll all have a better idea after the season.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yeah, I went to post that comparison but chose to take a quick look at bbref first to make sure my memory was accurate and was surprised to find out that it was an even more accurate comp than I had initially thought. An expensive multiyear extension for a 30 year old Santander when we have Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers, Mayo, and Beavers on-hand as potential replacements and Dean Kremer and Cole Irvin are our current projected #2 and #3 SPs for opening day 2025 would be utterly insane and irresponsible.

Thankfully, nothing in Mike Elias's track record suggests that this idea will seriously be considered, so if Santander is an Oriole next year, it will be because he accepted the QO.

The thing is though, due to the amount of pitchers that are out this year and for most of next year or all of next year?

I think you have to trade one or some of Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers, Mayo, and Beavers for pitching.   The injuries may have forced the team to pivot from earlier plans imo.