Hmm… so about that qualifying offer to Santander?

1 minute ago, Sydnor said:

They could decline the option on O’Hearn

Declining a 1 year, $7.5 million option for O'Hearn (136 OPS+ currently) to make room for Santander (also 136 OPS+ currently) at twice that price for multiple years seems kind of... not smart.

• Upvote 1

Santander's on an impressive heater but I'm not even sure about the QO right now, I would never consider any extension longer than two years no matter how he finishes the season. I dont have confidence he'll be productive and playable in RF longer than that. 

16 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I would go up to 4 no problem.  He is the type of hitter who is probably going to be just as good or even better that he is now into his low to mid 30s.  Kind of reminds me of Nelson Cruz.  Who I was begging the Os to resign......which everyone on here hated the idea of as I remember.  :)

Pepperidge Farms remembers....

I don’t know 🤷‍♂️, I’m kinda torn between QO option or extension option . If Santander is Nelson Cruz , give him the deal . If he is Chris Davis or Mark Trumbo , give him the QO . What would Elias do is the question 

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Declining a 1 year, $7.5 million option for O'Hearn (136 OPS+ currently) to make room for Santander (also 136 OPS+ currently) at twice that price for multiple years seems kind of... not smart.

I would QO Santander, 100% exercise Ohearns option, and keep Mounty. Tney are pros, can hit, and won’t break the bank.

Hays and Mullins are likely done. There’s room to keep the first three while we figure out who else can play and likely trade another prospect.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Why?

We could just sign a free agent like Eovaldi.

But what about for this year?  I think they really need pitching for 2024 and 25.

Nobody gives you a prize for having the best farm system. 

Yes,  he should get a QO and we should hope he doesn't take it.   That depends on who is still on the roster come fall.   If we trade a bunch of young talent like Kjerstad and Mayo (who we shouldn't, but that's another thread) then Santander back for another year or two isn't the worst idea.   I have very little interest in anything more than a 2-3 year deal, and I only want that if we don't have guys waiting on the wings for his spot.  In my perfect world,  he gets a QO, we get a draft pick when he signs somewhere else for too many years and too much money,  and we are able to very roughly replace his production with Mayo/Kjerstad/Stowers.  

3 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I don’t know 🤷‍♂️, I’m kinda torn between QO option or extension option . If Santander is Nelson Cruz , give him the deal . If he is Chris Davis or Mark Trumbo , give him the QO . What would Elias do is the question 

IMO AS has shown enough over the years to give me confidence he can hit for at least the next 3 years minimum.  He is a known quantity.  And he isn't going to be THAT expensive.  Not in the grand scheme of things.

Again, if the O's hadn't had all of these pitching injuries that will follow into next year?  I would be more apt to just QO Anthony and keep Heston.  But things have changed....radically imo, with the elbow's all going haywire.   

Heston more than likely is going to have to be part of a trade package.  Which makes signing AS more crucial. 

But we shall see.  That is why Elias gets paid the big bucks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

But what about for this year?  I think they really need pitching for 2024 and 25.

Nobody gives you a prize for having the best farm system. 

We have been talking about next year, but if you can get a guy at this year's deadline who's also under control for 2025, that's great. 

The problem is, there are not a lot of guys like that are obviously available right now and even fewer that are worth giving up any of the guys you listed for.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Why? O'Hearn is a strict platoon bat that should rarely play against LHP or in the OF. These two players are not remotely similar.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I would go up to 4 no problem.  He is the type of hitter who is probably going to be just as good or even better that he is now into his low to mid 30s.  Kind of reminds me of Nelson Cruz.  Who I was begging the Os to resign......which everyone on here hated the idea of as I remember.  :)

Pepperidge Farms remembers....

You weren’t a member 2 years ago but you were a member 10 years ago?

Good chance Nelson Cruz was on the special sauce.   If I knew Santander was going to age like Nelson Cruz and not like your average player I’d be ok with a 3-4 year deal but chances are that he’s a liability in RF within the next 2-3 years and should be DH.   A 3 year deal is something to think about at the end of the year.  A 4 year deal seems unwise.   A QA seems like the best bet at this point.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Why shouldn't O'Hearn play vs LHP?

Because he doesn't hit them. I'm not saying pull him out of the game for a LH pen guy in the 5th, but he isn't starting games against any good LHP.

Based on the development in the O's system, I think best case scenario is that Santander accepts a QO. If he declines, the draft pick is nice. I don't think he's a guy we sign to an extension now should we. I don't see him aging well, he will be a DH within 2 seasons