I sort of don't get Elias's plan

gtman55

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kremer is fine but he doesn’t solve the weaknesses of this team. He is someone that can force Suarez into the pen though and that helps somewhat, although we have no idea if we can really trust him there as of yet.

I don't trust Suarez at all.   He seems to lose command quickly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s becoming unglued?  Because of losing streak that almost every team goes through in any given season?  Really? 

This times 1000.

A five game losing streak where we’ve lost exactly 1.5 games in the standings, by the way. You would think we were suddenly ten games behind the Yankees (who’s asses we just finished kicking five days ago) with the way people act. 

Good time for an OH vacation for me because the flop sweat around here is flooding the place. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Lots of panic around here right now. Guys forget the Rangers were third in their division and only had 88 wins last season.

Also, the Rangers lost 8 in a row in August. Ironically, their longest winning streak was also 8 games that same month. It goes to show how things turn on a dime. We were on top of the world after beating the Yankees 17-5 and at the time, we had gone 6-3 against the Braves, Phillies, and Yankees who will all probably be playoff teams. 

Let's not forget that the Indians have won 7 in a row, so 5 in a row coming in. They are hot and a legitimately good baseball team. 

We had some of the best SP depth in baseball at the Major League level a month ago. 

Things can change quickly when you lose three starters to Tommy John over several weeks.  We still aren't in terrible shape. 

We obviously need to make a move at the deadline for a top end starter, and hopefully it is someone who can be here for awhile, given our lack of SP depth in the minors.  I am comfortable going into the playoffs with Burnes, Rodriguez, XXXX Deadline Acquisition, and Kremer, with Povich as potential insurance for Kremer.  I think that will give us an above average playoff rotation, and with this offense that is all we need to give us as good a shot as any team. 

Edited by ChuckS

Elias plan is pretty simple and has been executed to near perfection.  Give the team as wide a window as possible to be a playoff participant and build a team capable of winning the whole thing if things break their way.  

Based on the last several post seasons the team that hits the most home runs in any given series has won that series.  I think he has accomplished those goals.

This organization is setup to have a 3-5 year run as a world series contender.  I have no issue with the plan or even the overall execution and anyone who does is not seeing the bigger picture in my opinion.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Suarez needs to go the bullpen and he could definitely help there in a long/middle relief role. Suarez's fastball is averaging 95 MPH this year maybe pitching in relief and can add 2 to 3 more MPH when he needs it.

I don't doubt his stuff.   I doubt his command.  

5 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Elias plan is pretty simple and has been executed to near perfection.  Give the team as wide a window as possible to be a playoff participant and build a team capable of winning the whole thing if things break their way.  

Based on the last several post seasons the team that hits the most home runs in any given series has won that series.  I think he has accomplished those goals.

This organization is setup to have a 3-5 year run as a world series contender.  I have no issue with the plan or even the overall execution and anyone who does is not seeing the bigger picture in my opinion.

As long as that plan includes pitching addition(s) at the deadline than sure. But we are by no means winning a World Series with this pitching staff as is. How many good pitchers do we have that you or any reasonable person would trust to get big outs in a postseason game? And then be able to do that against the best hitters in the game round after round?

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We had some of the best SP depth in baseball at the Major League level a month ago. 

Things can change quickly when you lose three starters to Tommy John over several weeks.  We still aren't in terrible shape. 

We obviously need to make a move at the deadline for a top end starter, and hopefully it is someone who can be here for awhile, given our lack of SP depth in the minors.  I am comfortable going into the playoffs with Burnes, Rodriguez, XXXX Deadline Acquisition, and Kremer, with Povich as potential insurance for Kremer.  I think that will give us an above average playoff rotation, and with this offense that is all we need to give us as good a shot as any team. 

I still think bullpen help is more important than another starter.  I am comfortable with Burnes, Rodriguez and Kremer as the top three in a series.  Look at the other likely AL playoff teams

Yankees - Cole, Stroman, Rodon and Cortes

Guardians - Bibee, Lively, McKenzie and Allen

Mariners - Gilbert, Castillo, Kirby and Miller

Royals - Lugo, Ragans, Singer and Wacha

Twins - Lopez, Ryan, Ober and Paddack

I am not sure any of these rotations are better than our even now and I would take our lineup by the end of the year over any other those teams.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

As long as that plan includes pitching addition(s) at the deadline than sure. But we are by no means winning a World Series with this pitching staff as is. How many good pitchers do we have that you or any reasonable person would trust to get big outs in a postseason game? And then be able to do that against the best hitters in the game round after round?

Jose Leclerc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

I also think - long range speaking - our new international presence will be a good potential source of pitching. The draft is not the only way. 

Very good point. Does anyone here have any intel on any of the pitching prospects down there?