Orioles want Ackley?

Ackley is definitely starting to grow on me. I'm still not sold on picking him at #5, but if we did I don't really think I cold complain.

I wonder if Nick Markakis is a good comparison for Ackely.:scratchchinhmm: They seem to be pretty similar.

Aside from Ackley who would you want? Green White and Strasburg will probably go as the first three pick in no particular order. That leaves Tate, Matzek, Crow, Ackley, who am I missing. What other prospect will be worth 1:5. One thing that concerns me if that quote was from the O's is that they said survive the outfield? What?! Survive? I though that he'd be a Youkilis type hitter at the plate. Good average OBP, better speed moderate power. If he is able to put up 20HR's consistently I'd take him in a heart beat and put him at first. I'd be nice to have a 40+ hr guy at first, but those guys just aren't as abundant as they used to be.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex White is slipping down the board.

The only guy definitely off the board when we pick will be Strasburg. Ackley will probably be gone by #5. Grant Green might be gone, but it will depend on his defense and if he picks up his production at the plate. 1 HR and 7 RBI's??? What the heck happened here?

It will depend on if we want to go pitcher or hitter. If we go pitcher, I'd probably lean towards either Aaron Crow, or Tyler Matzek. Tate is likely going to play football.

If we go position player, if the draft were today, I'd take Polythess or Kipnis. But we'll check back in another month and see what some of these guys are up to...

Alex White is slipping down the board.

The only guy definitely off the board when we pick will be Strasburg. Ackley will probably be gone by #5. Grant Green might be gone, but it will depend on his defense and if he picks up his production at the plate. 1 HR and 7 RBI's??? What the heck happened here?

It will depend on if we want to go pitcher or hitter. If we go pitcher, I'd probably lean towards either Aaron Crow, or Tyler Matzek. Tate is likely going to play football.

If we go position player, if the draft were today, I'd take Polythess or Kipnis. But we'll check back in another month and see what some of these guys are up to...

It would be foolish to take either of those hitters over Crow or Matzek.

Aside from Ackley who would you want? Green White and Strasburg will probably go as the first three pick in no particular order. That leaves Tate, Matzek, Crow, Ackley, who am I missing. What other prospect will be worth 1:5. One thing that concerns me if that quote was from the O's is that they said survive the outfield? What?! Survive? I though that he'd be a Youkilis type hitter at the plate. Good average OBP, better speed moderate power. If he is able to put up 20HR's consistently I'd take him in a heart beat and put him at first. I'd be nice to have a 40+ hr guy at first, but those guys just aren't as abundant as they used to be.

If Strasburg, Green, White and Ackley are all off of the board at #5, I would pick Aaron Crow.

It would be foolish to take either of those hitters over Crow or Matzek.

I was impressed by Kipnis this week. Looked great. I wouldn't take him at 1:5 yet, and def not Poythress.

Matzek looks great. Crow depends on workouts, right? We'll see when he starts making the rounds.

According to an AL scout, "he's looked really bad the past 3 outings." His fastball has been consistently 89-90 MPH and he's had terrible difficulty commanding his secondary pitches.

Moving up to take his place at the top of the draft board is Texas HS pitcher Matthew Purke. He's maintained his velocity, touching 94 MPH regularly.

I still don't think Kipnis or Polythess is really that big of a reach in the top 10.

According to an AL scout, "he's looked really bad the past 3 outings." His fastball has been consistently 89-90 MPH and he's had terrible difficulty commanding his secondary pitches.

Moving up to take his place at the top of the draft board is Texas HS pitcher Matthew Purke. He's maintained his velocity, touching 94 MPH regularly.

I still don't think Kipnis or Polythess is really that big of a reach in the top 10.

Matzek threw a no hitter and hit 94 the day before I got to SoCal.

I agree Kipnis is climbing fast -- usually, teams don't jump people from the third round to top 10 two months into the season, but "if everything stays the same" (it never really does, does it? :)) he could be top 10 at the end of the year. I mean, if people made the argument for Kentrail Davis, you have to make it for Kipnis.

Matzek threw a no hitter and hit 94 the day before I got to SoCal.

I agree Kipnis is climbing fast -- usually, teams don't jump people from the third round to top 10 two months into the season, but "if everything stays the same" (it never really does, does it? :)) he could be top 10 at the end of the year. I mean, if people made the argument for Kentrail Davis, you have to make it for Kipnis.

Any updates on Gibson?

At one of the showcases I remember reading a scouting report on him that was not very flattering. Something to the nature of him throwing "a spinning curve without much bite" The report said he would snap a good one off every once in a while. BUT, people need to realize, the top 5 at the beginning of this year has changed drastically to now. If Crow is as good as he was last season when he starts throwing again, then he'd be my choice. Worried about his mechanics? Then u need to worry about all the other top 10 pitchers mechanics also because not 1 has picture perfect mechanics, yes even God himself Strasburg.

So, what if Pie and Reimold both turn into the players we all hope they can be this year. Should we skip a guy like Ackley even if he's the BPA and an outfielder?

No, draft the best talent available. Right now IMO Ackley is better than either Reimold or Pie......

Archived