O's Getting Hosed, All Star Reserves

I’m disappointed more O’s didn’t get in, but it’s hardly the biggest travesty in all star history, so, shrug.

Jim Palmer mentioned on the broadcast that he didn’t make the All Star team two of the three times he won the Cy Young.  

34 minutes ago, PeteCanes said:

Grayson is a ridiculous snub

Not really. What SP are you taking off for him?  

It seems like our guys reached some theoretical milestones of being an all star but they did a 2-3 deep at each position. Picked the players based solely on that position and not versus the entire position group. For Ex. It was DH v DH. 2B v 2B. COF v COF. 

The only gripes are possibly,

Westburg vs Peredes but the one player from each team rule. 

Santander vs OF but they need guys that can play CF. 

Kimbrel vs Holmes maybe here but Kimbrel getting demoted and not spreading out his rough outings affected perception. 

Do they still do the last player in vote?  If so, Santa and Westburg could be on the ballot?

5 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Marcus Semien - .673 OPS 91 OPS+

Ramon Urias - .686 OPS 99 OPS+  

(Yes I'm aware Simien has played more and has higher WAR.  Just found this interesting)

Must be fWAR because Westburg has 2.8 rWAR to Semien’s 2.3. And he’s only played 5 less games than Semien. 

10 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Marcus Semien - .673 OPS 91 OPS+

Ramon Urias - .686 OPS 99 OPS+  

(Yes I'm aware Simien has played more and has higher WAR.  Just found this interesting)

The Semien pick and the Holmes pick seem to be the two biggest reaches which is interesting since neither were the only rep for their team so there isn't even that logic there. 

Josh Smith or Jordan Westburg should have been over Semien (I know they are both primary 3B, but either could play 2B for a couple innings) and Kimbrel of Jansen over Holmes. 

@Can_of_Corn has provided the most level-headed reactions and perspective in this otherwise  over-reactionary thread.  @ Frobby as well, to a lesser extent.

I looked at the AL roster.....it is stacked....with deserving ALL Stars, and I really can't make an overwhelming case for anyone to come off of the AL Roster in favor of an Oriole.  And, for the record, I love watching Orioles play in the All Star game as much as anyone else.   

And, just because we have one of the best teams does not necessarily mean that we somehow have the most All Stars.....it could mean that, but it doesn't have to.

Let's be happy we have a lot of really good players.  Remember the year our only All Star rep was Ty Wigginton?  Let's be happy folks.......there's enough in this world to get upset about, and this ain't one of them.

• Upvote 1

Good summary of some of the best players not selected. They list Westburg, and surprisingly list Cowser over Santander on the OF list (which makes me think the fWAR sort column was the top data point). 

Not so sure Grayson or Kimbrel will be on that subs list, looking at some of the other very good pitchers who didn't make it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5622773/2024/07/07/mlb-all-star-game-roster-snubs-2024/?source=nyt_sports

7 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Good summary of some of the best players not selected. They list Westburg, and surprisingly list Cowser over Santander on the OF list (which makes me think the fWAR sort column was the top data point). 

Not so sure Grayson or Kimbrel will be on that subs list, looking at some of the other very good pitchers who didn't make it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5622773/2024/07/07/mlb-all-star-game-roster-snubs-2024/?source=nyt_sports

Cowser worries me late in games. He's got the absolute worst clutch stats in MLB and he's one of the absolute worst players in WPA. He's the last guy I want at the plate if we need something to happen in a big spot.