Austin Hays Appreciation Thread

NashLumber

A context clue to me about the immediate clubhouse temperature yesterday is that Roch Kubatko did not go to Cedric Mullins for Round 1 of observations about this transaction.

Healthy human respect for too soon?     Roch's back to blogging everyday so we'll see what the next few days bring.

Hays is on the present Mount Rushmore of 2016's 3rd round with Zac Gallen, Sean Murphy and Jesus Luzardo.     That foursome is ahead of the 2016 1st round's best four career to date in rWAR.

• Upvote 1

My first memory of Hays was from a callus.  I  can't remember if 2017 or 2019.  He went flying thru the air like Superman after a ball that was an impossible catch.  He made the catch!  I knew the guy was going to be special.  Hays never quite reached the heights with the bat I hoped for but provided plenty of defensive highlights with his glove and his arm.  I can see that he was respected by all his teammates and he will be missed.

Hays was one of the bridge players along with Mounty and Mullins from the Buck years to this team. That was big. It’s not his fault we wasted those years. 

Just goes to show that why would a rebuilding team that’s 2-3 years away want a Norby or Stowers?

I wish Hays the best in Philly. He fits in there. 

On 7/26/2024 at 4:58 PM, spiritof66 said:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Just want to correct you: my religious views play a very small part in my revulsion at the playing of "God Bless America" at NYY games. 

Maybe he does not like "God Bless America" because it was written by a progressive pretty much marxist writer if I am not mistaken.  

5 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Maybe he does not like "God Bless America" because it was written by a progressive pretty much marxist writer if I am not mistaken.  

"God Bless America" was written by Irving Berlin in 1918 for a musical he was writing while he was in the Army stationed on Long Island.  It was cut from the musical and forgotten for 20 years. You're probably thinking about "This Land Is Your Land," which Woody Guthrie wrote in 1940 as his response to "God Bless America." 

I had thought the Red Scare was over, and I hope that I would never dislike a song, or book, or movie, or show because of the politics of the author. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Just Regular said:

A context clue to me about the immediate clubhouse temperature yesterday is that Roch Kubatko did not go to Cedric Mullins for Round 1 of observations about this transaction.

Healthy human respect for too soon?     Roch's back to blogging everyday so we'll see what the next few days bring.

Hays is on the present Mount Rushmore of 2016's 3rd round with Zac Gallen, Sean Murphy and Jesus Luzardo.     That foursome is ahead of the 2016 1st round's best four career to date in rWAR.

Roch did interview Mullins after last night's game:

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/defensive-miscues-direct-orioles-to-latest-defeat