I think bringing in Kimbrel in the ninth was a very stupid decision.He should NOT have been in the game at all tonight.

In hindsight it sucked. In the moment I get his line of thinking. Prior to the 28 pitch game he hasn't worked a lot and looked rusty, so see if getting him more work helps. I think he needs to start matching up Kimbrel against the bottom of the order for a while.

I am going to the game today, looking forward to it, especially since I know I will not be seeing Kimbrel.  Right now, I have more confidence than anyone else on the staff than Kimbrel to get a key out.  

Last night was more of the same, not enough offense, shaky defense and a bad bullpen.  

7 hours ago, sevastras said:

Another reactionary thread from Roy. It is the same situation that everyone complained about in the wildcard series where Britton wasn’t brought in to hold the tie. Yes, Kimbrel has been spotty and struggled last night but it wasn’t a terrible decision to bring him in. Hindsight is 20/20.  Cano would have been my option but all well. The team just needs to get their shit together as a whole. It is a team game and sometimes one guy messes up, it is just more impactful when it is a pitcher and when it is a closer. 

Sometimes guys mess up…..wtf?  It’s his fucking job that he gets paid a lot to do.  Sometimes that airline pilot messes up.  It happens.  Sometimes that heart surgeon messes up.   Sometimes the secret service messes up. That’s the problem with our society.  No one expects anyone to do anything right anymore.  It’s ok to be half-assed.  Loser talk.

Edited by OrioleintheATL

34 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

Sometimes guys mess up…..wtf?  It’s his fucking job that he gets paid a lot to do.  Sometimes that airline pilot messes up.  It happens.  Sometimes that heart surgeon messes up.   Sometimes the secret service messes up. That’s the problem with our society.  No one expects anyone to do anything right anymore.  It’s ok to be half-assed.  Loser talk.

How do you feel about Gunnar when he makes an error in a big spot?    Good thing he’s not a pilot or heart surgeon.  Oops!    Great analogy!

Felix getting hurt really set off a chain reaction in the bullpen. I really don’t trust ANYONE in a high leverage situation right now. Just a bunch of guys who could look good on any given night, or could cough up the game. Kimbrel is at the end of his career. Saw it last year with him, and earlier this year. 

This whole team is so hot/cold I have no idea what will happen. No Steady Eddies. Maybe Burnes. If they get hot in late September the sky is the limit. If they are in the current mode, it is one and done again.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

And too think someone here Said he’d be our ACE next year when Burnes leaves 😂

Not resigning Burnes will be another monumental mistake. 

What I was saying yesterday is without Burnes, he moved into that spot at the top of the rotation for the team as currently constructed. I’m not saying next year he will be a CY candidate, although he has great stuff and has the potential to do so if he can put it all together. 

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Not as though we had any other options,but Kimbrel was awful yesterday and threw 28 pitches before (with defensive miscues) he coughed up the lead. I think Kimbrel cant be trusted with the game on the line any more. This wasnt some bump in the road, the guy just cant get the job done.Ive been resistant to trade for a rental in Tanner Scott,but unless the asking price is too high, we need to make a change and make Kimbrel a middle reliever. He's had a fine career, but he's done. We saw the exact same Kimbrel in the second half of last season too. He simply shouldn't get the ball anymore when it matters most.

Agree 100%

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

What I was saying yesterday is without Burnes, he moved into that spot at the top of the rotation for the team as currently constructed. I’m not saying next year he will be a CY candidate, although he has great stuff and has the potential to do so if he can put it all together. 

Got you…. I wasn’t busting on you. I think they have to keep Burnes if we are serious about contending. He’s our best pitcher and probably our best player and it only costs money to do the right thing. I’m fine with Eflin …but 

1 hour ago, OrioleintheATL said:

Yeah, that is a dumb analogy. I’m not calling you dumb, just your logic here so don’t get your feelings hurt.  Mariano Rivera had 80 blown saves in his career, what’s the difference between that and Kimbrell having 59 in his?  We knew Kimbrell was at the end of his career and he isn’t Rivera. Point is stop the bleeding and move on. Even the best teams lose games. 

I was totally against signing Burnes because I don’t think we can afford the loss if his arm falls off in the first couple of years. 

the fact remains that he is the closest thing we have had to an actual ace since Mussina. Which sucks. And now I’m not so against a big deal. 

Kimbrel is either pitching the ninth or tenth inning last night.  Since he can't hold runners, it makes more sense for him to pitch the ninth.  Thursday would have been an easy save  if Gunner and Norby field ground balls.  That said, I hope we trade for a closer.