Trade Proposal

Roll Tide

Would you trade Mayo for Justin Steele?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Mayo for Justin Steele?

• Yes … but it would be painful
    • No … Not dealing Mayo
    • Possibly …. Add thoughts to the thread

Saw this mentioned on X by a Cubs poster. He was saying the value to the Orioles wasn’t close to enough. So it’s 3 years of Steele versus full control of Mayo whose clock hasn’t started.

I’d think Elias would have to seriously consider it. Personally I’d trade Basallo if they’d take him instead. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/steelju01.shtml

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Saw this mentioned on X by a Cubs poster. He was saying the value to the Orioles wasn’t close to enough. So it’s 3 years of Steele versus full control of Mayo whose clock hasn’t started.

I’d think Elias would have to seriously consider it. Personally I’d trade Basallo if they’d take him instead. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/steelju01.shtml

Good pitcher, like the control but it would take prospects coming back from the Cubs. Mayo is too much.

5 minutes ago, Keygans said:

No way Cubs let him go, but I think Kjerstad and McDermott is … close.   Not sure if THEY would take that.  

They would not take that if theres no way the let him go.

I answered Yes... but it would be painful.  I'd be surprised if the Cubs deal Steele, but if they did, I'd want to be in on him.  With three more years of control beyond this season, he'd be a great addition to our staff moving forward through our 'window' of contention.  Being left-handed is a real bonus as well.  Most importantly, he brings three tremendous seasons of sustained success.  His last three years: ERA's of 3.18/3.06/3.08, FIP's of 3.20/3.02/3.18, and ERA+'s of 132/143/134.  Steele is older (29) than I'd prefer, but otherwise I'd love to have him bolster this staff.

34 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

They would not take that if theres no way the let him go.

No they wouldn’t , I agree   but that’s about his value IMO.  The 2 are comparable.    In the same we aren’t letting kjerstad go.

40 minutes ago, Keygans said:

No they wouldn’t , I agree   but that’s about his value IMO.  The 2 are comparable.    In the same we aren’t letting kjerstad go.

I think I’d send Kherstad straight up after watching him play the OF. I think we can do better offensively and have plenty of 1B/DH candidates. 

I can see the appeal of the trade from both sides. Mayo is unproven but Steele has less service time. I think the Cubs would have to accept a little less or add someone else to make up the difference. 

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Acquiring Pearson was more of a "buy-low and hope we can eventually turn him into a useful piece" kind of move than a win-now move.

I see Pearson as a "go for the wild card without sacrificing the future" move. Selling on Steele would be a child rebuild move. I don't see any sign of that.