Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

Eloy has more upside than Adam Frazier, but I can kind of see an Eloy is to Mayo as Frazier is to Westburg analogy.

Mayo may even have a little bit to work on next April so he can extend his warm relationship with BAL through 2031.    Or he could take the tens of millions Elias would still assure any day now for club options through several years of his free agency.

Come to think of it, Eloy's options are at the end of a contract he signed to help himself win a spring training camp battle back in the day.    He can impart some wisdom how to make opening day rosters.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Kinda surprised at the hatred for this one.  He's been dynamic at times but can't stay healthy, and is coming from a dumpster fire team.  Worth a shot to see if he can rekindle something. 

Yep.  Only knock I see is the defensive limitations.  That's the surprise to me.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I posted his statcast sheet 12 minutes ago.

I was just pointing out that those stats are well above average.  He has always been an awful fielder so his value is in his bat.  He could be useful against lefties.  

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

So we’re gonna trade players to get a guy who’s worse than the great prospect we could just call up instead? I’m sick of Elias

Wow, quite the hot take...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

You can't teach bat-speed.  It's not like we got an over the hill guy with declining physical abilities and a slow bat.

His hard-hit rate and avg. exit velocities are darn good.

He doesn't strike-out a ton.

I'm mildly excited to see if he can catch fire.  He's been in a dumpster fire of an org. who can't develop crap.  Between new found motivation being on a 1st place team (crazy to say that with comments last week or so) and the opportunity for our player dev. to work with him, they could strike lightening in a bottle. 

If it doesn't work out, It's Mayo time.  3mm gamble.  Why not? 

I mean, Mayo has written himself out of any 2024 O's lineup @ 1b or 3b so why waste dev time & service time to have him come up and get the short end of DH split? 

Eloy has the type of bat that can carry the offense for a week if he gets hot. His career offensive production is almost the same as Santander. Even with his injury history he's still is in his athletic prime. It's a relatively low cost gamble for a solid right handed hitter who can be the DH against southpaws.

I don't want to see Eloy playing left field at OPACY, but other then that if doesn't work out it's no loss. Playing for a contender might light a fire under his butt. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EdwinRip said:

I was just pointing out that those stats are well above average.  He has always been an awful fielder so his value is in his bat.  He could be useful against lefties.  

You saw the 45, 54, 50 up at the top right?

That's not a lot of value with the bat when you consider he has zero value with the glove and can't run.

If this was 2021 and they were bringing someone like this on I'd be for it.

I don't want to deal with a project in a pennant race.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You saw the 45, 54, 50 up at the top right?

That's not a lot of value with the bat when you consider he has zero value with the glove and can't run.

If this was 2021 and they were bringing someone like this on I'd be for it.

I don't want to deal with a project in a pennant race.

Well at least you’re not our gm.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bat speed is at 73.9, good but not great.

For a guy with no speed or positional value I'd like to see more red with the bat.

I don't think this is the time or the place to see if they can fix him.

image.png.e18bdbef08cff18672501bd641831588.png

Is he perfect?  No.  But neither was Hays.  Especially as any type of bench bat match-up threat.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/austin-hays-669720?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

The playing time will be interesting with Mullins, Cowser, and HK.  I would have thought an actual LF type would have been the target.

Not to shake this tree again:  Your questioning of defensive valuation is ringing true.  They always said "up the middle" so maybe a trim around the edges is ok.

I tend to agree the advantage shifts to Holliday as next prospect up.

11 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Well at least you’re not our gm.

Solid refutation of my points.

He's a weak side platoon DH that doesn't even flat out crush lefties.

He can't field at all and runs slower than the backup catcher.

Is this the lineup once Holliday is up?

CF - Mullins

LF - Cowser

RF - Santander

3b - Westburg

ss - Henderson

2b - Holliday

c - Rutsch / McCann

1b - O'Hearn / Mountcastle

DH - Kjerstad / Jiminez

Urias

1 minute ago, bluedog said:

CF - Mullins

LF - Cowser

RF - Santander

3b - Westburg

ss - Henderson

2b - Holliday

c - Rutsch / McCann

DH - Kjerstad / Jiminez

Urias

What about Slater?  I think Kjerstad is optioned.

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

CF - Mullins

LF - Cowser

RF - Santander

3b - Westburg

ss - Henderson

2b - Holliday

c - Rutsch / McCann

DH - Kjerstad / Jiminez

Urias

Holliday is not coming up. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

What about Slater?  I think Kjerstad is optioned.

Not sure what they have planned for Slater. Do we really want a bench of nothing but RH bats?

I don't think that Kjerstad stays down. He had options so they sent him down for a bit so they could sort out all the roster moves.

Edited by bluedog
  • Confused 1