2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

Unless I'm forgetting someone, the only SP definitively better than Eflin (who was traded) is Flaherty.  I would have liked to see us beat the LAD offer.  How much did PR fatigue/baggage play a part?  Many here didn't want him, so I'm looking forward to Game 3 Flaherty vs Eflin already.

The only RHH OF that could have played LF (that I can recall) is Lane Thomas.  CLE paid for it though.  I like Eloy as a bench bat.

An overpay on Rogers but I'm contenting myself with a story of sniping the Yankees offer!  Good chance they were shopping in the LHP aisle too.

Not getting a top shelf RP is my biggest regret.  Seranthony and Soto are both upgrades though.  Plus maybe McD can super size the bullpen.  Hoping we don't regret Moises the mostest. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want him sent down but he’s 2-18 since the concussion. It’s possible that there are some mental hurdles he has to clear and is struggling with things right now. We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes with him, so I think it’s fair to wonder if there is something going on.

Good point … I didn’t notice him pulling out but he really doesn’t look like he’s attacking the ball. 

21 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

That's a pretty pessimistic view of things. We turned over and improved the bottom 20% of the roster, which was weighing us down like a boat anchor. A lot of the trickle-down will greatly improve the supporting cast. The top end of our roster was and remains pretty well loaded with talent. 

The only decent move was Eflin. Hays is replaced by no hit outfielders who we don't have enough room for. Irvin is replaced by a reclamation project, and all we did in the bullpen is get guys because they ThRoW HaRD and have no control. Just reshuffled the titanic deck chairs. 

I will say this damn in 2021 we made out well

Edited by Orioles0615
  • Upvote 1

Digesting it all, it is a lot of pitching added considering Norby was perhaps the top individual let go of.     We'll see what the Rays make of Baumeister.

We tender everybody, and get 3/3 on the Felix-Bradish-Wells rehabs...even minus Burnes it doesn't seem terrible.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Digesting it all, it is a lot of pitching added considering Norby was perhaps the top individual let go of.     We'll see what the Rays make of Baumeister.

We tender everybody, and get 3/3 on the Felix-Bradish-Wells rehabs...even minus Burnes it doesn't seem terrible.

Not going to see Bradish or Wells next season

26 man roster once the dust settles. It seems like a lot, but here is what I think…

5 - Burnes*, Grayson, Eflin, Rogers, Kremer

8 - Kimbrel^, Cano, Dominguez^, Webb, Suarez, Soto, Perez, Akin

9 - Lineup vs RHP

1. Cowser LF L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santa* RF S

5. O’Hearn^ DH L

6. Mountcastle 1B R

7. Westburg 3B R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Holliday 2B L

4 - Bench - McCann*, Urias, Pache, Jimenez^

DFA - Irvin, Slater*, Vavra(possibly)

AAA - Kjerstad, Hunt, Livan Soto, Burch Smith

* = unrestricted FA at the end of this year.
^ = team option on 2025 contract 

Why we got Slater?  We needed Soto for SS depth in AAA. So we essentially bought Slater for that. He mashes LHP in his career and could literally just stay in AAA until the playoffs. Deep depth. FA at seasons end. We’re hoping he passes through waivers. 

Why we got Jimenez?  He’s a Hays replacement this year. He’s a cost controlled replacement for Santander next year. We needed OF depth after trading away Stowers. Sucks Kjerstad is down for him, but we are riding with lefties Cowser and Mullins for defense. Jimenez is a platoon RH for LF. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

9 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

The only decent move was Eflin. Hays is replaced by no hit outfielders who we don't have enough room for. Irvin is replaced by a reclamation project, and all we did in the bullpen is get guys because they ThRoW HaRD and have no control. Just reshuffled the titanic deck chairs. 

I will say this damn in 2021 we made out well

Irvin has pitched 44 innings last two months given up 44 runs.  Rodger’s has went 54 innings and given up 21 in that same time but you think they the same. lol

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want him sent down but he’s 2-18 since the concussion. It’s possible that there are some mental hurdles he has to clear and is struggling with things right now. We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes with him, so I think it’s fair to wonder if there is something going on.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but why would they have traded Hays and Stowers if there is something going on with Kjerstad? 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I'm not saying this is wrong, but why would they have traded Hays and Stowers if there is something going on with Kjerstad? 

Because they have the depth to sustain it.

It doesn’t mean it’s a long term thing but for the moment, a mental reset may be needed.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

26 man roster once the dust settles. It seems like a lot, but here is what I think…

5 - Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, Rogers, Kremer

8 - Kimbrel, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Suarez, Soto, Perez, Akin

9 Lineup vs RHP

1. Cowser LF L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santa RF S

5. O’Hearn DH L

6. Mountcastle 1B R

7. Westburg 3B R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Holliday 2B L

4 Bench - McCann, Urias, Pache, Jimenez

DFA - Irvin, Slater, Vavra(possibly)

AAA - Kjerstad, Hunt, Livan Soto, Burch Smith

I think one of the pitchers goes down. I think Soto is your back up SS.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I think one of the pitchers goes down. I think Soto is your back up SS.

We have two Sotos. Gregory the reliever. Livan is the SS, he’s going to AAA. Holliday is the backup MLB SS. We had Livan Soto back before ST.