Offer Anthony Santander 3 year 60 million contract

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

So AS is 100 times the athlete Trumbo was but still isn't a great athlete.

You think someone can have the ML career Trumbo did and not have a shred of athletic talent?

As for Cruz in the playoffs, what did he do other than cost the Rangers a ring?

For his career, over 12 playoff series, he was at + 5.4% cWPA (-4.2 in the WS).  Trumbo managed to get up to 1.6% in his one post season appearance.

How many rings did Captain Clutch bring home for his teams?  I think at the end of the day it was -1.

If you have to resort to facts and analysis you've already lost. You have to feel it, and only then you can decide on which free agents to pursue.

7 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Ditto what @Just Regular said.  I think the non-trade of Cowser & Kjerstad gave a pretty solid clue into the team's direction in the OF.  Had they traded Kjerstad, I think I'd be on board with a 3/60 type deal.  But I don't feel like we are missing out on a 29-year-old coming off a career year.  The writing is on the wall that his decline is rapidly approaching (see his year-to-year sprint speed).  He's not a young buck anymore and he's right at the age where father time starts to take his toll.  

Kjerstad or any other player could be moved in the offseason.

The Org does not have anyone to replace Tony’s production, especially as a switch-hitter. I think that part of his profile is vastly underrated. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If you have to resort to facts and analysis you've already lost. You have to feel it, and only then you can decide on which free agents to pursue.

I will leave that up to you.  As a race horse owner and trainer for 24 years, and as a trainer who did not deal with $millions of dollars in backing?

Many times I had to judge my perceptions on buying or claiming a race horse based on how I felt they looked.   Feel.  If they flashed.  If they could improve.  Not how fast they raced for the past 3 races or even 3 years. 

I had over a .450 training %  for my career.   In fact I owned and trained one of the horses that has the most wins as a harness horse over his career.  It was well over 135 wins and I claimed him when he was 6 and he had 20 wins and he retired at age 15 with over 135 wins.  

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The most significant action I've believed Elias might take affecting Santander's outlook was dealing one of Cowser or Kjerstad.

Had that occurred, I would have thought....maybe.

Now the forecast is clearer.

Sure after the World Series maybe a conversation resumes if Kjerstad/EBJ can anchor a Garrett Crochet acquisition, but I believe Anthony Santander is a strong favorite to lock into his 2025 team before Chris Getz can make up his mind about what to do.

100% this. The other data point is the O's apparent reluctance to hand Mayo 3B. Having Mayo in the DH picture makes it even harder to find a role for Kjerstad unless Santander is gone.

I think we should give him the QO but I think I would rather have the pick than Santander for 3/$60.

The most significant action I've believed Elias might take affecting Santander's outlook was dealing one of Cowser or Kjerstad.

Sure after the World Series maybe a conversation resumes if Kjerstad/EBJ can anchor a Garrett Crochet acquisition, but I believe Anthony Santander is a strong favorite to lock into his 2025 team before Chris Getz can make up his mind about what to do.

100% this. The other data point is the O's apparent reluctance to hand Mayo 3B. Having Mayo in the DH picture makes it even harder to find a role for Kjerstad unless Santander is gone.

I think we should give him the QO but I think I would rather have the pick than Santander for 3/$60.

"I think we should give him the QO but I think I would rather have the pick than Santander for 3/$60."

Yeah! Sure the pick would out-perform a 40+hr switch hitter-- they are a dime a dozen.

3/60 is probably going to be light. I don't know if I'd go 5 years, but a team desperate for a power bat likely will. I don't say this with joy, he's my favorite Oriole player and has been for years and I had no doubt he would be this guy this year while everyone was screaming about how awful he was in April/May and how he should have been usurped by Stowers or Kjerstad or whoever.

5/$100 is probably what it takes, and I’d offer it right now.   Tony takes obsessive care of his body,  dude is built better than anyone on the team.     His attitude is also much needed.  Guys like Gunner and Westberg and G-Rod are so high tension, always in their own head, they need a guy like Tony in the dugout to keep the team positive and loose.   He’s a team leader in that way.   
Kjersted, really nice guy, but he isn’t half the player Santander is, that’s not a guy who can replace him in right field.  I don’t know what some of you are seeing.    

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

5/$100 is probably what it takes, and I’d offer it right now.   Tony takes obsessive care of his body,  dude is built better than anyone on the team.     His attitude is also much needed.  Guys like Gunner and Westberg and G-Rod are so high tension, always in their own head, they need a guy like Tony in the dugout to keep the team positive and loose.   He’s a team leader in that way.   
Kjersted, really nice guy, but he isn’t half the player Santander is, that’s not a guy who can replace him in right field.  I don’t know what some of you are seeing.    

I agree.  People who think HK can just come in and replace what AS provides, from hitting to fielding to leadership?

I mean it isn't even close. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

18 hours ago, Say O! said:

It’s going to be interesting to see what type of budget and how Elias chooses to deploy those funds.

I think ME will operate like Ravens EDC…in that he will have a price and if the market exceeds that, well then bless the highest bidder.  This will play out with Burnes and Santander.

With a guy like Eflin on the roster next year, back end of bullpen having enough quantity, there are now several options to proceed

A. highest $$$ = sign both Burnes and Santander

B. sign Santander, trade Kjerstad+Povich/McD+prospects for starting pitching (Crochet?)

C. sign Burnes, let Santander walk, Kjerstad to RF

Option C. 

Santander walking would save plenty of money. Paying him tens of millions just to hit home runs is ridiculous. His .248 AVG and.314 OBP are weak and he was an "all-star"? Santander is a lifetime .248 hitter. Is that worth $20 million/year? I think not...

Sign Burnes to an extension or it becomes a wasted trade (Elias has proved he has mastered that negative aspect). 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I will leave that up to you.  As a race horse owner and trainer for 24 years, and as a trainer who did not deal with $millions of dollars in backing?

Many times I had to judge my perceptions on buying or claiming a race horse based on how I felt they looked.   Feel.  If they flashed.  If they could improve.  Not how fast they raced for the past 3 races or even 3 years. 

I had over a .450 training %  for my career.   In fact I owned and trained one of the horses that has the most wins as a harness horse over his career.  It was well over 135 wins and I claimed him when he was 6 and he had 20 wins and he retired at age 15 with over 135 wins.  

Everyone has some kind of plausible rationalization for why their favorite player is going to buck the odds and age better and totally be worth that big extension coming off a peak year even if they're entering or are already in typical decline years. There's always someone willing to pay for veteranosity and roll the dice that this guy will fade at 35 instead of 32 or 30.

I witnessed very similar arguments being made here for Chris Davis, Mark Trumbo, Javy Lopez, Nick Markakis, BJ Surhoff, Sammy Sosa, Vlad Guerrero Sr, Kevin Millar. I'm sure the fans of Kent Hrbek, Juan Gonzalez, Mark Teixeira, Ryan Klesko, Ted Kluszewski, Justin Morneau, Prince Fielder, and Mo Vaughn all thought they'd just keep cranking out 30 homers a year well into their mid-30s.

No, I am not a horse trainer. I know nothing about horses. But I know a lot about baseball players. And if you regularly bet large sums that a power-hitting corner OF/DH is going to just keep on producing well into his 30s you'll lose that bet most of the time. Whether or not he's a fan favorite and an awesome dude.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

If we were discussing whether to re-sign a race horse in his walk year, then this might prove helpful. 
So your intuition about Santander's forthcoming five-year trajectory should be trusted because the "eye test" rarely let you down when evaluating whether Equine Bee was a better long-term bet than Grandpa's Old Jalopy?