I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

54 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't see opportunity being a problem if Urias is the only thing standing in his way.  I think that is the primary basis for outrage over the last few months. 

Kjerstad had/has a tougher path to every day at bats with DH being tied up often with O'Hearn and Santander in right.  You aren't sitting either of those guys regularly against RHP. 

Urias isn't going to be the one standing in his way.  Once Westburg is back Urias will be the backup.  I don't think we want Mayo serving as the backup.  

For comparison, during the two weeks in April when Holliday was up and Westburg was healthy, Holliday started 10 games, Westburg started 13 games, and Henderson started 13 games.  In the meantime Urias only started 2 while coming in as a replacement in 4 others.  If we are replacing Urias with Mayo I don't think that's enough playing time.  The could try to get creative with the DH and 1B spots but again it's possible he could be sitting a lot.  Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, though.

35 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

I just don't understand why they traded for Jimenez/Slater/Soto at all.. why not just bring up Mayo on Tues.. Elias has some weird roster habits.. thinking back to 1 week or Tony Kemp for example.. why? They could have just put Holiday on the OD roster. 1-2 weeks in AAA made no difference. 2-3 days of Mayo in AAA made no difference. Just weird.. but glad he's coming.

I think Pache/Mayo/Kjerstad/Holliday could have given us everything that Jumenez/Slater/Soto did w a lot more upside.   Jimenez and Slater specifically seem to be taking away ABs from Mayo & Kjerstad specifically.  If the O's are going to succeed in the postseason, they need one or more of Mayo, Holliday and Kjerstad to come up big.  I don-t see Jimenez or Slater playing a big part in O's postseason success.

2 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

The huge difference being they all had obvious opportunities for playing time.  Once Westburg is back we'll have Holliday, Henderson, and Westburg around the horn.  Henderson is not sitting, and while Westburg can play 3B and 2B I'm not sure there are enough starts available for Mayo.  He's also sort of redundant with Mountcastle at 1B.  There may be some DH opportunities against lefties but I would think they want him playing regularly.  Look at how it was hard to keep Kjerstad in the lineup.

This is all dependent on many factors of course.  If Mayo is mashing they will make room for him.  Maybe O'Hearn or Mountcastle or even Santander is scuffling.  We'll see when the time comes, but I'm just saying my guess is the plan right now is to send him back both to preserve rookie status but also because the opportunities may not be there for him to play.

Regardless, I'm excited to see him play.

Doesn't seem like there's any chance of Westburg back until late September.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

That is not what you were saying for Holliday. Do you hold the 20-year old to a higher standard?

When a guy is 1 for 34, striking out half of the time, and was having trouble throwing to first base?  He should be sent down.  And if Mayo does the same?  I would say the same.  I don't expect that to happen, just like I didn't expect JH to struggle so badly this spring. 

But it did. 

1 hour ago, The Goob said:

I personally can't wait to see this lineup or something very similar in 2025:

Holliday - 2B, Adley - C, Gunnar - SS, Mayo - DH, Westburg - 3B, Cowser - LF, Kjerstad - RF, Mountcastle/O'Hearn - 1B, Mullins - CF

My guess is Mayo ends up at 1B …. Mounty and O’Hearn are short timers IMO 

Conspiracy Theory:

Mayo is up because the initial data they are seeing on Westburg's injury indicates a short-than-expected recovery time (i.e. 6 weeks) so they believe they will be able to option Mayo back to AAA before he exceeds the rookie threshold, which is why they waited a day before promoting him.

(Maybe someone else has suggested this, I haven't really looked around to see)

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

My guess is Mayo ends up at 1B …. Mounty and O’Hearn are short timers IMO 

I don't disagree with you that he could at first because I think 2B-SS-3B are set with Jackson-Gunnar-Westy but I think at least one of Mountcastle or O'Hearn are still here next year.  I think O'Hearn is vastly underrated and should be on the 2025 team.  He has very good at bats and hits the ball hard.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I do think it's worth wondering whether he will get the Adley/Gunnar/Holliday treatment or the Kjerstad/Stowers/Norby/Ortiz/Cowser treatment when it comes to playing time when he first arrives. 

Tony, I don’t think the first group looks like the second group.  I’m pretty sure the Elias would put Mayo in that first group.  I sure hope so.