I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The logic is logistics. The taxi squad means they are already in the dugout. 

Also, not trying to give you a hard time. 

Was Soto actually up here as a taxi squad guy?  I suppose it's possible since he probably needed a physical etc.  I don't think Vavra was up, it seemed like they just let him red-eye it up here for 1 day before Holliday came up.

40 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

95mph from 55' is very different than 103mph from 110'.  

True.

I still say most fielders don't square up and  get in front of that ball.  Agree or disagree?

A ball hit that hard along with in an between hop is a do or die play where you just hope your glove is in the right spot.  Far from routine.  Agree or disagree?

3 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

Urias isn't going to be the one standing in his way.  Once Westburg is back Urias will be the backup.  I don't think we want Mayo serving as the backup.  

For comparison, during the two weeks in April when Holliday was up and Westburg was healthy, Holliday started 10 games, Westburg started 13 games, and Henderson started 13 games.  In the meantime Urias only started 2 while coming in as a replacement in 4 others.  If we are replacing Urias with Mayo I don't think that's enough playing time.  The could try to get creative with the DH and 1B spots but again it's possible he could be sitting a lot.  Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, though.

Westburg is on the DL and won't be back for at least six weeks.  He doesn't figure into the conversation right now, in terms of getting Mayo at bats. 

Edited by ChuckS

15 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Ha! Good one Malike...Seriously, Im sure he'll struggle at first, but give him time. He can really rake.

Maybe he’ll struggle and maybe he won’t.  It’s a fallacy that all rookies struggle at first.   Plenty don’t.   But I certainly won’t freak out if Mayo does.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

True.

I still say most fielders don't square up and  get in front of that ball.  Agree or disagree?

A ball hit that hard along with in an between hop is a do or die play where you just hope your glove is in the right spot.  Far from routine.  Agree or disagree?

100% agree it's far from routine.  That ball was smoked.

I do think he makes that play like 80+% of the time, though and if it was at OPACY he likely gets an E. 

Agree most guys won't get in front and throw their body at it. 

I didn't like that he got out of the way and 'spun out' with glove flying up.  I get the drop step back hand, but he's gotta get low and keep his eyes behind his glove.  He stepped back for the backhand and just flailed at it.  I thought it was a lazy attempt on an extremely difficult play. 

The need for a backup shortstop was a bit overstated all along in my opinion.  Gunnar doesn't really take days or even innings off.

Is there a #23 on the team that I'm forgetting about?  I think that's been Mayo's number throughout the minors, a little surprised he's not getting that in the majors.  Instead he gets Trey's old number.  May he wear it with just as much class as Trey did!

The Soto thing is certainly odd.  The only explanation must be the RFF - Roy Firestone Factor!!!

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Perhaps the production and release of that hype video was the reason for the delay....

I doubt that. Have to imagine they have those things in the hopper for the big prospects.