The Baltimore two-step

Frobby

7/30 Norby traded

7/30 Vavra called up

7/31 Vavra sent down/Holliday called up

====

7/31 Westburg injured 

7/31 L. Soto called up

8/1 Mayo called up (no corresponding move announced yet)

When Norby was traded, it seemed calling up Holiday was the obvious move, but instead we got Vavra for 24 hours.  When Westburg was hurt, it seemed calling up Mayo was the obvious move, but instead we got Soto and Mayo came up a day later.  

Is there a logical reason for this?  Is it just logistics?   It’s kind of confusing.  I feel like we’ve seen similar moves in the past too, though I can’t think of any examples right now.  

There must be some logic behind it, though I can't put my finger on it either.  Hopefully its just odd maneuvering in this case, and doesn't portend the impending announcement of a heretofore unknown injury....

Maybe it’s based on the matchup for the SP, or they were planning on getting a Urias a start in both instances? The Norby trade and Westburg injuries forced a transaction on a specific day, but it doesn’t make sense to call up Holliday or Mayo for a game you aren’t planning to play them. It is very strange, though. 

I’m also wondering if Eloy Jimenez is going to be put on the IL? I saw something yesterday that he’s not fully recovered from a hamstring injury earlier this year. Maybe they evaluated him yesterday and decided it was worth a 15 day stint, after they’ll send Mayo back down for a couple weeks and call him back up on September 1 and he’ll still be ROY eligible next year.

More likely though its Soto going and they’re just saying, like with Holliday, forget the ROY incentive - they’re ready, we’re trying to win this year, we want to get them acclimated as much as possible before the playoffs. 

Was Vavra already on the taxi squad? They don't keep the taxi squad officially posted anywhere so it's hard to track. 

The logic of the Mayo move is hard to say until we see the corresponding move. Seems odd to promote him in the middle of a series unless there was an injury we don't know about. Only other thought would be they are planning to control his AB's and figured out today is the day based on his planned usage. 

If there's a reason for it, I'd wager it's to give them a chance to ingest the news and get their feet under them before being asked to play. The alternative is they get the news, get in a car/plane, arrive at the stadium and play the game. Belongings are left behind. Wives/friends are scrambling. Nerves are running high all day. Etc.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Maybe it’s based on the matchup for the SP, or they were planning on getting a Urias a start in both instances? The Norby trade and Westburg injuries forced a transaction on a specific day, but it doesn’t make sense to call up Holliday or Mayo for a game you aren’t planning to play them. It is very strange, though. 

This is the only explanation that makes sense to me. They didn't want to bring up Mayo a day early if, for whatever reason, they were dead-set on playing Urias last night. Maybe they wanted the best possible defensive alignment on the field for Rogers' debut? Anyway, I think that has to be it - Urias was starting, so might as well let Mayo get another game's worth of at bats before coming up.

1 minute ago, deward said:

This is the only explanation that makes sense to me. They didn't want to bring up Mayo a day early if, for whatever reason, they were dead-set on playing Urias last night. Maybe they wanted the best possible defensive alignment on the field for Rogers' debut? Anyway, I think that has to be it - Urias was starting, so might as well let Mayo get another game's worth of at bats before coming up.

Elias did mention Rogers gets ground balls, so I could see this being the reason. 

The Vavra one also seems like they just preferred to play Holliday the next day, possibly for matchup reasons. 

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is there a logical reason for this?

My guess is that certain decisions need Elias approval.  

Vavra and Soto were default decisions that Hyde/Eve/Frobby can make

But Holliday and Mayo?  "Some clocks are more equal than others."

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If there's a reason for it, I'd wager it's to give them a chance to ingest the news and get their feet under them before being asked to play. The alternative is they get the news, get in a car/plane, arrive at the stadium and play the game. Belongings are left behind. Wives/friends are scrambling. Nerves are running high all day. Etc.

Makes sense.  Especially for Mayo.