Three Wishes for MLB

Jagwar

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think pitcher injuries became more frequent after they banned the sticky stuff, because pitchers wanted to get the same spin they had before.  

I don't think spin was fully integrated into pitching philosophy at that point.

I also don't think anyone is going to leave spin or velocity on the table.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure what you have against the players that you want the draft.

There is a reason the players are fighting against it.

It's all about lowering costs for the owners.

I'm fine with your #1 and #3, for #2 I'd go with something impossible and have MLB cut all ties with gambling.

Gamblers even might like that. 90% of them will tell you betting on baseball is brutal and over the top unpredictable.

Edited by oh-wee-ohs

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

1. Salary Cap.

2. Salary Cap.

3. Salary Cap.

Will never happen- players union would never stand for it....   but it's infuriating.  The big market teams not only outspend to buy the best players from all the other teams, weakening them, but they can also outbid all the other teams to retain their own best players when their contracts are up.  

the only professional sport without a cap....

Greed

Floor helps more than a cap 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Floor helps more than a cap 

I think they should have both. With new ownership I don’t care about the floor. Plus the bad mediocre teams would be stuck if they couldn’t go full rebuild. 

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think they should have both. With new ownership I don’t care about the floor. Plus the bad mediocre teams would be stuck if they couldn’t go full rebuild. 

I don’t know about the cap BUT the floor might be worth looking into . We have some owners who view team ownership as maximizing profit .  People like Reinsdorf, Fisher ,Angelos( yes he’s gone now ) are using their teams as ATMs .  MLB should install a floor plan with spending . Go below ⬇️ the floor and their profits get deducted until they get back over the floor . The league should keep devising ways to force the Scrooge clubs to stop perpetually rebuilding like A’s , WSox been doing . 

Salary Cap AND Floor. I know the players won't go for the cap, but the floor would be good for them, so maybe you can convince them of one and giving in on the other. Can you imagine the Yankees, Dodgers, etc... if they had to have a payroll under 175 mil (or whatever is a reasonable number)?

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Salary Cap AND Floor. I know the players won't go for the cap, but the floor would be good for them, so maybe you can convince them of one and giving in on the other. Can you imagine the Yankees, Dodgers, etc... if they had to have a payroll under 175 mil (or whatever is a reasonable number)?

175 isn't reasonable, you have a dozen teams with a higher payroll.  Maybe 250. 

11 hours ago, SouthRider said:

4. End of blackout restrictions. 

Yeah, this is one I like.  Especially with how they've figure out how to get money from the various apps and mlb network.  Robo umps are a given.

As far as trading draft picks, you'd likely have the poor teams attaching picks to bad contracts to trade to the richer teams.  

5.  The 26th man space . Instead of wasting on a utility player sleeping on bench . Why not use that spot for extra pitcher ?  With all those pitching injuries epidemic, perhaps that pitcher might be more handy than position player ?

4 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

I don’t know about the cap BUT the floor might be worth looking into . We have some owners who view team ownership as maximizing profit .  People like Reinsdorf, Fisher ,Angelos( yes he’s gone now ) are using their teams as ATMs .  MLB should install a floor plan with spending . Go below ⬇️ the floor and their profits get deducted until they get back over the floor . The league should keep devising ways to force the Scrooge clubs to stop perpetually rebuilding like A’s , WSox been doing . 

I think that every team should have the same amount to spend. It should be in a range say $300-$350 million based on total revenue calculations. The money is then put in a separate account for payroll expenses and everyone has same amount. If they have to break the union then so be it. I know the O’s actually reside somewhere in the middle but it’s no fun being a Pirate, Rays, fan etc,

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 2

1. The problem is not prohibiting or allowing sticky stuff, it's the slick balls...fix that and you won't have to worry about sticky stuff or command issues.

2. Accountability for poor umps

3.  No more Apple TV games...

17 hours ago, Jagwar said:

In order, these are my 3 wishes for MLB

1. Robo Umps
  2. International Draft
  3. Trading of Draft Picks

yes, no, yes

16 hours ago, SouthRider said:

4. End of blackout restrictions. 

100% absolutely yes.  There's no good reason for them.

16 hours ago, DocJJ said:

1. Salary Cap.

2. Salary Cap.

3. Salary Cap.

Will never happen- players union would never stand for it....   but it's infuriating.  The big market teams not only outspend to buy the best players from all the other teams, weakening them, but they can also outbid all the other teams to retain their own best players when their contracts are up.  

the only professional sport without a cap....

Greed

No.