Keeler Morfe 2024

Tony-OH

31 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I said this in the DSL thread but this kid has a better arm than any of the high school kids in the draft. He is well on the way to becoming a top 100 prospect. Can’t wait to watch the replay. 

Caminiti touched 98 as a left handed 17 year old.

• Tony-OH changed the title to Keeler Morfe 2024

Such an interesting prospect. Can’t be too many comps in baseball history for a 5’8” guy in the upper 90s at 18. Or at any age, really.

Will his stature be an advantage in making his release point very unusual? Or work against him in limiting his extension and effective velocity? Durability? Ability to be a SP or limited to RP?

So many questions. He’s going to get a lot of attention if he finishes the year putting up more numbers like that at A ball straight out of the DSL at 18. 

6 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Touching 98 is not the same as holding 98-99. Caminiti sits 92-94.

He's also younger and left handed and has four pitches.

I don't get why folks feel this need to downgrade everyone else to try and make the Orioles look better.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's also younger and left handed and has four pitches.

I don't get why folks feel this need to downgrade everyone else to try and make the Orioles look better.

To be fair, he’s only younger by 2 months:

- Keeler Morfe DOB - 6/9/2006

- Cam Caminiti DOB - 8/8/2006

I do think as a lefty that’s 6 inches taller, Cam likely gets picked ahead of Morfe.  Keeler might have been a first round or early second round pick in this hypothetical scenario, but not by Elias who wouldn’t want the injury risk.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I do think as a lefty that’s 6 inches taller, Cam likely gets picked ahead of Morfe.  Keeler might have been a first round or early second round pick in this hypothetical scenario, but not by Elias who wouldn’t want the injury risk.

I just don't get why folks can't leave it at "he's an exciting young player to watch with a great arm and he looks like a real hit from the International side." 

I watched Morfe innings 2 & 3.   Despite the two walks he did show good command, particularly on the slider.  I saw one pitch the announcers called a slider but looked like a perfect changeup that started just above the knees and dropped below.   He looked very relaxed and composed as well.

Not to be forgotten, Yeiber Cartaya followed with 4 very good innings.   He’s 6’5 and 21.   Mid 90’s and he had good command of his breaking pitch (slider?) yesterday.   I don’t believe I saw anything offspeed but someone worth keeping an eye on.

I wonder if we’ll see any of the other DSL pitchers skip FCL.  

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

He could be 6' 8", have the perfect frame, sit 102, and be a lefty, and Elias wouldn't pick him in the 1st round.   I think Elias was scarred for life by the 2 Houston #1 SP picks that went bad 

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I wonder if we’ll see any of the other DSL pitchers skip FCL.  

I tend to doubt it, but there are several putting up good numbers:

Kevin Velasco (1/11/06) 37.0 IP, 1.22 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 11.7 K/9, 4.8 K/BB

Estaban Luna (9/28/06) 36.1 IP, 1.49 ERA, 1.019 WHIP, 8.7 K/9, 2.2 K/BB

Adrian Heredia (11/16/04), 36.1 IP, 1.98 ERA, 1.211 WHIP, 11.1 K/9, 3.0 K/BB.