One Run Here And One Run There Isn't Going To Cut It.

ORIOLE33

25 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Peterson is very good, and Edwin Diaz has been himself lately. Butto has also been elite since transferring to the pen. I’ll give the O’s a pass for being lackluster with the bags tonight.

It didn’t help the umpire had a huge zone.  Perterson is a ground ball pitcher that works the bottom of the zone and tonight he had a good 3-5 inches more at the bottom.  Sometimes there guys just play better they get paid too.  It isn’t always on us.  

4 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Here's some interesting numbers for you numbers people...

Run differential in the last 50 games:

Orioles: -29

Astros: +68

There's really nothing interesting about it.  

The pitching has been meh besides most of the Corbin Burnes starts, and Eflin. 

The offense hasn't been able to overcome a terrible BP and mediocre SP.

13 minutes ago, survivedc said:

He may have slightly favored the Mets, but I thought he was pretty off on both sides. Either way, hard to hit with a zone like that.

He was calling pitches way below the strike zone and off the plate.  In the late portion of the game he started evening out but not to make up for the majority of the game in which he was really shafting us over and over.

I will say this about the offense, it needs to be better, but I will give them some leeway in the blame department given what they were up against.

Edited by O's84

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

There's really nothing interesting about it.  

The pitching has been meh besides most of the Corbin Burnes starts, and Eflin. 

The offense hasn't been able to overcome a terrible BP and mediocre SP.

Also, let’s be frank, the Astros are a better team as of the moment.

48 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

As others have pointed out, we have eyes. If you don't think this offense isn't struggling, I don't know what to say. This is not the same offense we saw earlier in the season. 

What’s your time frame, a week?   I’ll concede the offense has been a little below par the last 8 games.   But that’s pretty normal.  Every team has little ups and downs.  I suggest you look around the league.  We are absolutely not a team that relies on a few high scoring games to prop up our average offensive numbers.  Our run distribution is very typical of any team.   

For years, I’ve been tracking how many runs the team averages per game, in 10-day stretches and in month-long stretches.  I promise you, this team has had fewer true offensive cold spells of any team I can remember.   

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s your time frame, a week?   I’ll concede the offense has been a little below par the last 8 games.   But that’s pretty normal.  Every team has little ups and downs.  I suggest you look around the league.  We are absolutely not a team that relies on a few high scoring games to prop up our average offensive numbers.  Our run distribution is very typical of any team.   

For years, I’ve been tracking how many runs the team averages per game, in 10-day stretches and in month-long stretches.  I promise you, this team has had fewer true offensive cold spells of any team I can remember.   

It's not just me and people on this site that sees issues with this offense, I don't know which one it was, I believe it might have been Ben McDonald, who said during a broadcast some time ago that this team often doesn't do anything in the middle innings.

One glaring issue on offense is Adley. He really needs to turn it around. His "slump" has been longer than 10 games. I brought this up in the other thread, where has Mounty's power gone to? The only somewhat consistent hitter has been Santander and now Gunner, who's finally getting out of his slump. 

Average numbers blah blah. One feast game makes several famine games average out. It is true. The offense stinks right now and has stunk for a bit. A 12 spot evens it out and makes the "average" apologists look right. There is no consistency anywhere. I would love to see the consistency we had the first couple of months this year again. Punt the 12 spot games. I want to see that 5.whatever runs per game be a 5 to 6 spot 5+ nights a week. As Moose said, what happened to us making the pitcher work and throw a lot of pitches? That has been completely abandoned.

Even the Mariners and White Sox putrid offenses can pull out a feast game to offset the putrid game averages. We are better than that.

Edited by oh-wee-ohs

13 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

It's not just me and people on this site that sees issues with this offense,

The only somewhat consistent hitter has been Santander and now Gunner, who's finally getting out of his slump. 

Well if people on this site, especially in the game thread think it so, then it is real.

Gunnar is hitting 287 with 33 HR for the year.  He really hasn’t slumped much.  He is 23 in his second year.

Before the ASG the O's scored less than three runs 25 times in 96 games (26%). Since the ASG the O's have scored less than three runs 4 times in 30 games (13%). 

These rates change some if you set the run threshold to <4 or the date to Jul 1 instead of the ASG, but the idea that the offense is suddenly less consistent or only scoring their runs in big blowout games just holds no water. 

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Well if people on this site, especially in the game thread think it so, then it is real.

Gunnar is hitting 287 with 33 HR for the year.  He really hasn’t slumped much.  He is 23 in his second year.

You conveniently edited out the rest of the quote. Gunnar is getting back to form, but he had an extended slump. But Adley is an issue anyway you slice it. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Before the ASG the O's scored less than three runs 25 times in 96 games (26%). Since the ASG the O's have scored less than three runs 4 times in 30 games (13%). 

These rates change some if you set the run threshold to <4 or the date to Jul 1 instead of the ASG, but the idea that the offense is suddenly less consistent or only scoring their runs in big blowout games just holds no water. 

Then explain the difference in wins and losses. Was our pitching THAT much better than it is now. There's something the stats aren't telling because this offense does not like remotely as good as it did before the ASG.