8/21: A 4 RBI Night For Aberdeen's Cunningham

cboemmeljr

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• HOU just won. Updated again.      Tonight TB @ CLE BOS @NYY TEX @ SEA  
    • To put things in perspective, for those that have logged at least 20 innings at 2B this year, if we look at his Rtot over the course of 1,200 innings (A BBref metric called Rtot/yr), there are 125 eligible players. Jackson Holliday is tied at #96 with Amed Rosario and Alika Williams. More well known players with a similar Rtot/year are as follows: Nolan Gorman -8 Gleyber Torres -9 Jake Cronenworth -12 For a minimum of 200 innings, there are 57 eligible players. Jackson is #47.  He clearly needs to get better overall. But I do think he's been improving. Does that mean we hand the position over to him in 2025? It'll be interesting to see how he does in spring training. I don't think they need to go out there and get a 2B. You still have Urias, who is a plus defensive 2B. And Westburg, if you are going to overly index on Rtot, is actually worse than Holliday! But Westy is about league average at 3B (this year, better last year). The point is there's enough depth where they don't need to go out an acquire somebody.
    • I think Holliday will be on the playoff roster even if Urias/Westburg are both back effectively.  Rivera I think would be off. 
    • Leaving Holliday off the postseason is pretty controversial. Mayo, not at all. Keep in mind the big hit vs the Astros was a pinch hit. I think even if Westy and Ramon come back fully healthy, there’s a lot of value there off the bench and with his speed. 
    • Frankly it's kind of depressing to watch the Orioles these days, because their lineup and bullpen have been so ravaged by injuries.  But, we are told that many people will return before the end of the season.  So here is something to look forward to:  our optimal starting lineup and staff when everyone is healthy (well, everyone except for Mateo, Bradish, etc):   Catcher:  Rutschman 1B:  Mountcastle 2B:  Westburg SS:  Henderson 3B:  Urias/Rivera platoon Outfield:  Santander, Cowser, Mullins/Slater platoon DH:  Kjerstad  Other bench players:  McCann, O'Hearn, utility infielder for defensive emergencies only who can play 2B and SS (Livan Soto) Rotation:  Burnes, Eflin, Suarez, Grayrod, Kremer (one of them goes to bullpen for playoffs) Bullpen:  Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Coulombe, Perez, Irvin, Akin, Bowman, Soto (or Anderson if he shows enough at AAA) DFA Kimbrel, Jimenez, Maton, Burch Smith Farmed out/off the playoff roster:  Holliday, Mayo, Povich None of this should be too controversial except my suggestion that Kjerstad should be the everyday DH over O'Hearn once he returns.   The way I see it, O'Hearn is in a swoon and like Rutschman has become a millstone in the middle of the lineup.  Kjerstad deserves a shot to claim this job.  O'Hearn becomes our main pinch hitter against RHP; Rivera, Urias or Slater can PH against lefties.        
    • Agreed. I don’t really want to go all out to have to win games in the last series. I want to get guys rested (maybe Adley doesn’t play any game that series), get the pitching lined up and get the injured guys some more Ml time.
    • As soon as you stop worrying about winning the division, the better off you’ll feel about this season. Once we split with the Astros, took 1 from the Dodgers and realized we wouldn’t be losing 7 in a row (8 counting the Mets finale), I exhaled a bit. All that matters is getting the IL guys healthy enough so they can contribute again, ideally with some time before the postseason to shake off the rust. Whatever this team is doing now doesn’t matter and the schedule is very friendly to the WC teams this year with the extra days off. If we don’t get the IL guys back in time, it won’t matter if we get the bye or not. 
  • Popular Contributors