Austin Overn 2024

luismatos4prez

17 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The recent Eno Sarris article about the Orioles’ hitting development approach was the first time I saw description of “vertical bat angle” (or VBA) - suggesting that the Orioles draft/coach hitters with steep VBA because it results in more power (but perhaps also more holes in the swing). 

On the clip of this homer, sure seems like Overn has that steep VBA. Maybe just based on the down and in location of this particular pitch, but his statistical profile in college was not power heavy. Perhaps the Orioles see more upside here. A player with this defensive profile has a huge ceiling if Overn can unlock more offensively.

It was definitely down and in and that contributed to the swing, though he could have gotten on top of it with a less vertical swing. 

I doubt the Orioles hitting coaches are giving these new draft picks too much new instruction as the team typically let's these guys go play for the rest of the summer than give them things to work on in the offseason. 

Overn did pop 8 homers at USC this year, so it's not like he was a punch and judy hitter. I He's not a big guy and he's probably not going to be big time home run guy, but he'll pop a few here and there for sure.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Triple Crown said:

Watched that game last night and was very impressed with Overn. The AB I actually liked a little better than the HR was the single to left off Rivera the lefty that was dominating the Shorebirds at the time

Yeah, that was a nice PA. I love seeing young guys lines balls oppo, particularly lefties and against left-handers.

• 2 weeks later...

5 key plays last night:

1st inning 1 out (I think) runner on 2nd, lazy pop up that he wasn't going to be able to get to and he pretended like he was drifting under it holding the runner close to 2B and not allowing him to score.

8th inning pop up in the Bermuda triangle.  No one called it and it dropped between CF/LF/SS.  That's on Overn/CF.

Nailed a runner at 3B on a SB throw that got into CF.

Error on a throw to the plate.  Not there's throw but think it got the mound and C couldn't come up with it.

He made a play in LCF look easy with a great jump.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

5 key plays last night:

1st inning 1 out (I think) runner on 2nd, lazy pop up that he wasn't going to be able to get to and he pretended like he was drifting under it holding the runner close to 2B and not allowing him to score.

8th inning pop up in the Bermuda triangle.  No one called it and it dropped between CF/LF/SS.  That's on Overn/CF.

Nailed a runner at 3B on a SB throw that got into CF.

Error on a throw to the plate.  Not there's throw but think it got the mound and C couldn't come up with it.

He made a play in LCF look easy with a great jump.

Thanks for the defensive observations. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His profile sort of reminds when we drafted Austin Hays.  Even the same first name.  

Eh, not sure I agree. Hays was right-handed, had good power, decent speed, and plus arm in the OF, but questionable jumps leading most to believe he was corner outfielder at the major league level.

Overn bats left-handed, doesn't have much power, is speedy, has an average to maybe slightly below avg arm, but should be able to play center field at the major league level effectively.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2024 at 4:05 PM, Tony-OH said:

Eh, not sure I agree. Hays was right-handed, had good power, decent speed, and plus arm in the OF, but questionable jumps leading most to believe he was corner outfielder at the major league level.

Overn bats left-handed, doesn't have much power, is speedy, has an average to maybe slightly below avg arm, but should be able to play center field at the major league level effectively.

Would that translate to Al Bumbry as an upside comp?