9/8 Roku Rubber Match vs. Rays

ShoelesJoe

12 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

OMG Adley - Hyde and Elias have their heads in the sand.  Adley is not getting it back this year.  Reset and hope for better in 2025.  In the meantime you can’t bat him 2nd and play him almost everyday.  Just idiotic. 

Why not just release him right now?

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I'm not saying Elias has failed. What I'm saying is that I don't see anything from the team's performance that tells me he's got some secret sauce, proprietary methods or magic touch that can boost a team's performance in ways that are special or nearly unique. 

The Orioles are 44-43 since the All-Star break, and they're headed for 44-44. I wouldn't call that a "prolonged slump." That's more than half a season of mediocre baseball, with no basis to expect improvement. I think most GM teams could have done that, if they had been given free reign to put a terrible team n the field to take advantage of the now-altered amateur draft, as Elias was. Could a lot of GMs, with that tool, have produced a season and a half of very good baseball as Elias did? I don't know, but again I think so. I mean, why not? What has Elias got that most of them don't have?

Of course, that's speculation on my part. What isn't speculation is that, over 87 games, Elias has done nothing that has markedly improved the team's performance, and there has been very little help from the highly ranked ML system. 

OK, so even with ahalf a season of mediocre baseball, it was proceeded by 2 seasons of great baseball.

Once again, what he started with (and yes I know the cupboard wasn't completely bare but it wasn't great)... Elias has done a great job.

And I strongly disagree with "no basis to expect improvement".   You don't think we will get Westburg back?   You don't think we will get Rodriguez back?   You don't think we will get Urias back?   You don't think we will get Mountcastle back?   You honestly think Rutschman will remain a .176 hitter for the rest of his career?    You think Mayo will remain a .100 hitter for his career?   You don't think we will get Webb back?  You think Holliday has hit his ceiling before his 21st birthday and won't get VASTLY better than he has been?    You think O'Hearn is completely washed up?   You think Cowser had a good half season and now is just going to be bad for the rest of his career?   You don't think Kjerstad will ever contribute anything to this team?

Yes, I still call it a prolonged sl ump.   I think we have way more players underachieving than overachieving.   I think Elias has put together a team that has talent somewhere between 90 and 100 win level.  We played over our head for the first 75 games of teh season, and now we have played below the leavel we should for 69 games.   And we are STILL on pace to win 92 games despite this prolonged slump.

The assumption that this bad 69 games is a greater indication of our true talent than the 75 great games we started the season with is, IMO, just wrong.