Irvin claimed by Twins

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Beating a dead horse but Trevor Rogers is basically a worse version of Irvin and the good thing about Irvin was you didn't have to give up Norby and Stowers for him. 🤦‍♂️

Don't get me started on that Rogers trade. Lol. I haven't checked in awhile but isn't the kid they traded to Oakland for him doing pretty well or no? 

17 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Don't get me started on that Rogers trade. Lol. I haven't checked in awhile but isn't the kid they traded to Oakland for him doing pretty well or no? 

Norby is hitting under .200 for his past 38 plate appearances, so you can get started on that.

Darrell Hernaiz is -0.7 WAR for the season so far.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HardlyRocked said:

I cannot say I am a fan of this move by the O's (being available to be claimed) considering the scrubs they have started recently.   At the very least he was a good middle reliever. 

He was good in the pen last year. He had a 7.71 ERA in the pen this year and an 8.08 ERA overall the last 3 months. 

6 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He was good in the pen last year. He had a 7.71 ERA in the pen this year and an 8.08 ERA overall the last 3 months. 

True.  But he came through enough when the Os have really needed a guy this year.  Any guy.  I don't believe it is a huge loss but at the same time I don't think he was a throwaway either.  Which is what I believe the Orioles thought he was and is.

I have a feeling that Irvin will do better in another organization than he did with us.  It seemed like the O’s were trying to make him into something he wasn’t, chasing higher velo, etc.   Also, I don’t think Brandon Hyde really believed in him.  We’ll see next year.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have a feeling that Irvin will do better in another organization than he did with us.  It seemed like the O’s were trying to make him into something he wasn’t, chasing higher velo, etc.   Also, I don’t think Brandon Hyde really believed in him.  We’ll see next year.  

You don't think the O's gave him every opportunity to succeed? Seems to me like Irvin got second, third, fourth, fifth chances.

Irvin was ok depth, but he regressed this year in just about every way. He seemed disinterested pitching in junk ball time which is the role he earned with his inconsistent pitching.

He can only go through a lineup maybe twice, and it was clear Hyde just didn't trust him. 

Would I have minded if he made it through for depth? Not really. But it's clear he's similar to Trevor Rogers and the Orioles have made their bed with Rogers being here next year.

Irvin is not the difference in the Orioles winning or losing in the playoffs and he probably would have been non-tendered this offseason since he has no more options.