Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

LookitsPuck

Will the Orioles make the playoffs?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would bet there are people in their mid to late 40's that don't remember the O's World Series win.  My dad wasn't a big sports guy and back then family's had one TV.  I don't remember much about sports before the O's coming up just short in 1982.  Definitely don't remember 1979 World Series even though I was 9.

Yeah, I wasn’t a huge baseball fan at the age of three

18 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not in the group that expected us to miss the playoffs a few days ago.  This thread was a bit silly at the time, and has now become completely irrelevant. 

But stating we are going to win 5 of the next 9 games as a fact, is just as ignorant as the people who think we are going to lose out or continue the tailspin to the point that we will miss the playoffs. 

As much as I can't stand constant negativity, I also can't stand people who have no tolerance for any negativity, or pessimism, or whatever you want to call it.  If you just want to be a part of a cheerleading group and resent any criticism of the team, a hardcore fan message board is probably not the place for you.  Not just speaking to this poster, but as a retort to similar opinions in general. 

I think this is a very fair comment in general, as applied to myself.   I sometimes am too hard on posters with negative opinions about the team.  Probably because when I’m feeling down about the team myself, I don’t like having my negative feelings reinforced.   

On 9/20/2024 at 1:11 PM, ChuckS said:

I'm not in the group that expected us to miss the playoffs a few days ago.  This thread was a bit silly at the time, and has now become completely irrelevant. 

But stating we are going to win 5 of the next 9 games as a fact, is just as ignorant as the people who think we are going to lose out or continue the tailspin to the point that we will miss the playoffs. 

As much as I can't stand constant negativity, I also can't stand people who have no tolerance for any negativity, or pessimism, or whatever you want to call it.  If you just want to be a part of a cheerleading group and resent any criticism of the team, a hardcore fan message board is probably not the place for you.  Not just speaking to this poster, but as a retort to similar opinions in general. 

Thread really isn’t completely irrelevant.

O’s are 86-70

Tigers 82-74

Twins 81-74

Royals 82-74

Magic Number is 3 with 6 to go, but they keep losing. And now they have the Yankees and Twins. 

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Thread really isn’t completely irrelevant.

O’s are 86-70

Tigers 82-74

Twins 81-74

Royals 82-74

Magic Number is 3 with 6 to go, but they keep losing. And now they have the Yankees and Twins. 

I’ll be surprised if they win 3 of the next 6, that would mean we win a series and I don’t see that happening. If we lose 5 of 6 which is a real thing, we could be the last WC team.

4 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I’ll be surprised if they win 3 of the next 6, that would mean we win a series and I don’t see that happening. If we lose 5 of 6 which is a real thing, we could be the last WC team.

Except KC and Minn are going just as bad. Detroit will be back for that WC series. 

10 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

There's a world in which the O's go 1-5 and don't make the playoffs. It's tough, but if there's any club that can have it happen to them, it's the 2024 Orioles.

• Scenario 1 (O's go 1-5, finish 87-75)
    • Tigers go 5-1, 6-0 and finish 87-75 (they have head to head tiebreaker against the O's), 88-74
    • Twins go 7-0 and finish 88-74
    • Royals go 6-0 and finish 88-74

There's also Scenario 1 in which the O's lose the last 6 games, and it gets really dicey there:

• Scenario 2 (O's go 0-6, finish 86-76)
    • Tigers go 4-2, 5-1, 6-0 and finish 86-76 (have tie breaker over O's), 87-75, 88-74
    • Twins go 6-1 or 7-0 and finish 87-75 or 88-74
    • Royals go 5-1 or 6-0 and finish 87-75 or 88-74

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

I'd rather them not make it than watch them back into the playoffs and lose in the WC round to a .500 team (that is buoyed by playing the White Sox 13 times) because they can't score. 

Speak for yourself.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I'd rather them not make it than watch them back into the playoffs and lose in the WC round to a .500 team (that is buoyed by playing the White Sox 13 times) because they can't score. 

I 100% want them to make the playoffs, not just because I'm financially biased (bought playoff tickets), but also because I do think the additions of Coulombe, Webb, Urias, Westy, and hopefully Mountcastle will make them a competent group that could make a run.

But they have to make the playoffs first. They've been doing everything wrong lately, and what should have been a celebratory weekend has been anything but. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

SEA just lost. 

Was never worried about them. Even though the Royals and Twins have been struggling, that’s only been recent. The O’s have been underwater approaching 3 months.

Is it unlikely the O’s miss the playoffs, yeah. But they are going to take this down to the last series, potentially the last game or 2, it feels.