A look ahead to the 2025 payroll

Sports Guy

9 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

We traded our comp a pick as part of the package for Burnes. So I think the answer is yes unless qualifying offer comp picks are different than the market size competitive balance picks. 

Yes, qualifying offer comp picks (which can’t be traded) are different than competitive balance picks (which can).

It is powerfully convenient to say Ryan, but in the next couple few weeks we'll get our last view of O'Hearn v. Mountcastle, which the Cowser-like PA portion necessary for Coby Mayo's RoY candidacy needs solved.

Mountcastle's right handedness and willing to put on a Powerpuff suit I think gives him the edge heading down the final stretch.    I believe Mountcastle is probably also a better 1B partner for Mayo as they have some kind of Lee May-Eddie Murray job share early next season.

The 2025 lineup transitions are I think limited to Basallo for the backup catcher (and then he'll squeeze the 1B/DH duo), and if Mullins can sustain himself as a superior option to Fabian/EBJ for another October.

This time next year I'm hopeful the injury gods are kind and Adley, Basallo, Mountcastle, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, Mullins, EBJ, Kjerstad and Basallo are 11 individuals monopolizing all of the Orioles plate appearances at least four more Octobers.    I believe Mountcastle is nearer to the "Elias Generation" group of players heart, so he'll get an edge on Hays and O'Hearn when push really comes to shove as the #RisingTide starts to crest.

Will O'Hearn's option give value to rate another Gregory Soto type decent reliever in trade?

10 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would bring McCann back on a one year deal

I'm kind of rooting for not McCann, nothing about the individual player but I think the Sarasota backup catcher's prominence is the main leading indicator we'll get this winter of the 2025 Samuel Basallo strategy.

I hope after living through 2 Octobers of Grayson Rodriguez and Jordan Westburg and Heston Kjerstad and Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo arguably being under seasoned for their first pennant races that Basallo can have the Adley timeline instead of the 44 active roster days.

In 2026 EBJ can put up a very gaudy SB number coming off his 44 active roster days that should play well for that year's RoY competition key to sustaining a large supply of Griff O'Ferrall's for the pipeline.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'm kind of rooting for not McCann, nothing about the individual player but I think the Sarasota backup catcher's prominence is the main leading indicator we'll get this winter of the 2025 Samuel Basallo strategy.

I hope after living through 2 Octobers of Grayson Rodriguez and Jordan Westburg and Heston Kjerstad and Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo arguably being under seasoned for their first pennant races that Basallo can have the Adley timeline instead of the 44 active roster days.

In 2026 EBJ can put up a very gaudy SB number coming off his 44 active roster days that should play well for that year's RoY competition key to sustaining a large supply of Griff O'Ferrall's for the pipeline.

I think I've gotten pretty good at deciphering Just Regular posts but this one is too much for me. Can anyone make sense of this one? I get that bringing back McCann would mean we don't have to rush Basallo but after that I'm lost.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think I've gotten pretty good at deciphering Just Regular posts but this one is too much for me. Can anyone make sense of this one? I get that bringing back McCann would mean we don't have to rush Basallo but after that I'm lost.

Mike Elias has irritated Adley Rutschman in all 3 of his MLB seasons trying to extract "more retained value" for his boss's bottom line, and wonders why Adley isn't excited to sign away club options on his entire career.    Gunnar Henderson too.

It might be a nice gesture to work Basallo in a little earlier next year because adjusting to MLB competition is very hard.

James McCann is pretty cool, and I hope he can find more opportunity to further his career next season than playing backup for the league's best starter.

EBJ isn't as promising as Basallo, but he is good enough to have a fair chance for 2026 Rookie of the Year in the final season of this CBA, especially with the counting stats boost the 2026 Orioles lineup will give.

After that who knows what the rules will be, but definitely top athletes will love geeks figuring stuff out to determine how their careers should progress.