Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

About once every three weeks he has those really entertaining at bats when he fouls off like six pitches.

MLB wide, Santander was 24th in pitches per plate appearance.  Interestingly Cowser was #28 and the O's overall were 12th out of 30 teams.  Santander and Cowser were the only two above league average though.

Just now, 24fps said:

MLB wide, Santander was 24th in pitches per plate appearance.  Interestingly Cowser was #28 and the O's overall were 12th out of 30 teams.  Santander and Cowser were the only two above league average though.

Is this on Fangraphs or somewhere else?

1 minute ago, Allan Bryant said:

“ I’m pretty confident the payroll will go up next year “ 

reported by Roch Kubatko & Andy Kosta

Right, pretty confident.

That's not saying anything.

How many teams have their payroll go up in any given year?  Twenty-five?

If it doesn't go up what can we point to?  Him saying he was pretty confident?

53 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I know I won’t miss him 

There are certain things I will miss. I mean, this was a rule 5 guy who hadn’t played above A ball and found a way to be a really solid player. Tons of respect for his work ethic, the person he seems to be and the teammate he seems to be.

But it’s just time to move on. If he accepts the QO and stays for 2025, I won’t be terribly upset but that’s not going to happen.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

If that Ramon piss missile to LF doesn't get caught by a the OF who literally warped to it, I think the game changes dramatically. As unclutch as they were overall that game, they also had some pretty bad luck. Gunnar nearly had a double that went inches foul as well. 

This is very true.  The O’s had a lot of bad luck in Game 2, and these are two prime examples, along with O’Hearn’s grounder up the middle that was very close to sneaking through, which would have scored a run, but Massey made the play and threw him out to end the inning.  Even Adley hit a ball hard in the 5th with the bases loaded that happened to be right where Witt was positioned in the hole, but with any luck at all, it gets through and we score 2 runs.  

On the flip side, in the inning where the Royals went up 2-1, Cionel continued his run of bad luck when he gave up a Baltimore chop for a single and then Massey bloops a single into right center with 2 outs.  Neither ball hit well, but placed in the perfect spots.  Then Witt hits a hard grounder up the middle, which Westburg gets to, and with any luck at all, Gunnar is standing close to 2B and Westy is able to just flip the ball to him for the force out to end the inning.  After watching the replay, Gunnar appears to be close enough to the bag that Westy should have just tossed the ball up to him and hoped for the best, as with Witt’s speed it was very unlikely he would be able to throw him out from his stomach.  But in the heat of the moment, Westy had to make a quick decision, and unfortunately opted to throw the ball to first.

It’s small things like this that can make the difference in a close, low scoring game, and unfortunately, the Royals got more breaks than the O’s did and took advantage of them more than the O’s did with the very few breaks they got.   

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, pretty confident.

That's not saying anything.

How many teams have their payroll go up in any given year?  Twenty-five?

If it doesn't go up what can we point to?  Him saying he was pretty confident?

I get the skepticism, but the Angelos’ are no longer in charge. I think the payroll is going to significantly increase and a significant/not cheap free agent or two or three will be signed.  I’m not bet my house on it certain, but I think the odds are high. There’s video of the owner after the game talking to fans and he was clearly not happy. 

Edited by Ohfan67

1 hour ago, mall-O-cup said:

Glad to hear we'll have a "Smart" payroll.

I think when Elias says they will be smart about it, he just means that they aren’t going to spend money just to spend it, especially if they think it will be a bad deal in the long run.  When Elias was hired, he referenced that he wanted to build a “healthy” organization that didn’t have a bunch of bloated contracts that they would regret later (which was clearly a jab at the Chris Davis deal), so I think they look at all of this on a case by case basis and let their models/projections dictate what they think is reasonable and what isn’t.  Obviously, you have to go outside of your comfort zone at times if you want to get a player that you truly covet, and I have a feeling that with Rubenstein now owning the team, Elias will be more inclined to go more outside of his comfort zone than he otherwise would have with Angelos owning the team, as I think Rubenstein will be more willing to take risks to get good players than Angelos was.  

18 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I get the skepticism, but the Angelos’ are no longer in charge. I think the payroll is going to significantly increase and a significant/not cheap free agent or two or three will be signed.  I’m not bet my house on it certain, but I think the odds are high. There’s video of the owner after the game talking to fans and he was clearly not happy. 

I've said before that I'm expecting payroll to hover around 20th.

But Elias didn't actually say anything.  I don't blame him and I'm not upset about it,  I'm just making an observation.

• Upvote 1