Duke's Paulus trying to play in NFL?

blueberryale77

So, if I read that correctly, it'd have to be this fall. He couldn't redshirt. What if he makes the team, but gets hurt. Can he have a medical redshirt? I'd assume not because he played a full 4th year of basketball.

Guys I remember playing both football and basketball at major univerisities: Ronald Curry, Julius Peppers at UNC and Terry Kirby and Matt Blundin. I believe Aaron Brooks also played baseball and was the QB at Virginia. I'm sure there are a bunch more (Reggie Love played hoops and bball at Duke--now he's Obama's personal aide).

The most famous names that come to mind are Tony Gonzales of the KC Chiefs, who was an excellent basketball player at Cal; and Charlie Ward, who won the Heisman Trophy at FSU while also playing point guard for the hoops team. After school he chose the NBA and went on to play a few years with the New York Knicks.

Closer to home, there was Calvin McCall at UMd. He was the QB on the football team, even started a few games. He also played basketball. But when Friedgen took over he didn't quite fit the system, so he gave up his football scholarship and accepted a basketball scholarship from GW for his senior year and was the 12th man on the 2002 NC team.

Guys I remember playing both football and basketball at major univerisities: Ronald Curry, Julius Peppers at UNC and Terry Kirby and Matt Blundin. I believe Aaron Brooks also played baseball and was the QB at Virginia. I'm sure there are a bunch more (Reggie Love played hoops and bball at Duke--now he's Obama's personal aide).

Rusty Larue at Wake.

The rule is you get 5 years of eligibility to play 4 years. If you think about it, he could have played football and basketball for all 4 years. Not easy to do in practice, but in theory he would be allowed to do it. So really he has played 4 seasons, not 4 years. In any event, he can only play football for one year.

Paulus was an excellent high school QB and was given an opportunity to play both football and basketball in college (Syracuse). Donovan McNabb played basketball at SU for two years I think. McNabb was on the team that lost the national championship game to Kentucky in 1996. Paulus chose Duke knowing he would not be allowed to play football. The spread offense he ran in high school was much different than Michigan's. Paulus' team (Syracuse CBA) ran the spread to throw. He had D1 receivers. He wasn't a runner. Rodriguez obviously likes QBs who can run.

On a side note. Paulus' team played Ray Rice's team (New Rochelle) in the 2004 NYS championship game. Paulus's team won 41-35. Rice got hurt in the second half or the score may have been bigger for both teams.

Paulus was an excellent high school QB and was given an opportunity to play both football and basketball in college (Syracuse). Donovan McNabb played basketball at SU for two years I think. McNabb was on the team that lost the national championship game to Kentucky in 1996. Paulus chose Duke knowing he would not be allowed to play football. The spread offense he ran in high school was much different than Michigan's. Paulus' team (Syracuse CBA) ran the spread to throw. He had D1 receivers. He wasn't a runner. Rodriguez obviously likes QBs who can run.

On a side note. Paulus' team played Ray Rice's team (New Rochelle) in the 2004 NYS championship game. Paulus's team won 41-35. Rice got hurt in the second half or the score may have been bigger for both teams.

I never knew that, so I looked it up. He played on the same high school team with Antoine Walker (Kentucky). Wow, imagine playing against those guys in high school. It'd be like playing against Randy Moss and Jason Williams.

I never knew that, so I looked it up. He played on the same high school team with Antoine Walker (Kentucky). Wow, imagine playing against those guys in high school. It'd be like playing against Randy Moss and Jason Williams.

Yes, and McNabb also played on the same high school football team as Simeon Rice. That high school had some talent.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can't believe when talking about two-way players, nobody has mentioned Antonio Gates, who was a member of the Kent State team that went to the Elite 8.

I don't think Gates played football at Kent State...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Gates

Pretty amazing though with all of the success he's had in the NFL. Jai Lewis from George Mason's Final 4 team tried out with the Giants (tried to make him a tight end), but didn't go too far with them.

Can't believe when talking about two-way players, nobody has mentioned Antonio Gates, who was a member of the Kent State team that went to the Elite 8.

Did anyone mention the greatest athlete ever: Bo Jackson? I know he didn't play basketball but that was b/c Bo considered it a girlie sport and beneath him.

Archived