Duke's Paulus trying to play in NFL?

blueberryale77

Zero chance as a QB, or at least zero chance of having any success. It wouldn't surprise me if some team gave him a look in training camp. If he's going to try another position, he has a better shot.

Zero chance as a QB, or at least zero chance of having any success. It wouldn't surprise me if some team gave him a look in training camp. If he's going to try another position, he has a better shot.

What position? I can't really see one where he fits. His problems guarding speedy point guards would tend to indicate he wouldn't be too good of a defensive back and he'd be on the slow side for a wide receiver; he doesn't have a strong enough build for a running back, and he's definitely small in both height and weight for a tight end. It would make an interesting story, but I don't really see how an NFL team would take it as anything other than a potential publicity stunt to raise attendance at their training camp. One might think basketball in Europe would be a better option for him.

Paulus is one of those guys that for whatever reason rubs me the wrong way. I can't stand him. He may be a great person, but just watching him on TV makes him seem like a d-bag. It is only fitting that the Packers are looking at him since I'm a Bears fan.

He's also talking to Rich-Rod about playing at UM next year.

Michigan football fan here...I don't know how to feel about this one.

Wasn't he a very good QB back in his high school days?

Maybe it will work...we don't have a QB right now anyway...

Michigan football fan here...I don't know how to feel about this one.

Wasn't he a very good QB back in his high school days?

Maybe it will work...we don't have a QB right now anyway...

He was an excellent HS Qb..Owns most of the NY high school passing records.

Was committed to go to ND out of HS.

He also ran the spread offense in high school, which of course Rich Rod runs.

He was an excellent HS Qb..Owns most of the NY high school passing records.

Was committed to go to ND out of HS.

He also ran the spread offense in high school, which of course Rich Rod runs.

Right on. ND really wanted him. I really do not see him helping Michigan any. By the time he knocks the rust off and starts playing again, it will be over. He could be someone that gets stashed on a NFL practice squad as a FA signing.

How does this work? Hasn't he exhausted his eligibility?

The rule is you get 5 years of eligibility to play 4 years. If you think about it, he could have played football and basketball for all 4 years. Not easy to do in practice, but in theory he would be allowed to do it. So really he has played 4 seasons, not 4 years. In any event, he can only play football for one year.

The rule is you get 5 years of eligibility to play 4 years. If you think about it, he could have played football and basketball for all 4 years. Not easy to do in practice, but in theory he would be allowed to do it. So really he has played 4 seasons, not 4 years. In any event, he can only play football for one year.

So, if I read that correctly, it'd have to be this fall. He couldn't redshirt. What if he makes the team, but gets hurt. Can he have a medical redshirt? I'd assume not because he played a full 4th year of basketball.

Guys I remember playing both football and basketball at major univerisities: Ronald Curry, Julius Peppers at UNC and Terry Kirby and Matt Blundin. I believe Aaron Brooks also played baseball and was the QB at Virginia. I'm sure there are a bunch more (Reggie Love played hoops and bball at Duke--now he's Obama's personal aide).

Guys I remember playing both football and basketball at major univerisities: Ronald Curry, Julius Peppers at UNC and Terry Kirby and Matt Blundin. I believe Aaron Brooks also played baseball and was the QB at Virginia. I'm sure there are a bunch more (Reggie Love played hoops and bball at Duke--now he's Obama's personal aide).

Jeff King, playing tight end for Carolina now, played basketball at VT his senior season.

Archived