Walltimore

Sanity Check

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

According to park factors, OPaCy was friendlier overall to righties compared to lefties. This is the second time in three season that has been the case.

But it’s way friendlier to lefties in terms of hitting homers. 

thus the need for a gap to gap hitter

The wall was yet another case, in the case of many’s. Where Elias thought he was smarter than everybody  and decided to make hitting homers to left field almost impossible and so in his “genius”he only drafted left-handed hitters. Hence, we have trouble hitting left handers ( the only good thing that came of this is they got Gunner Henderson Earlier than anybody else was willing to draft him. ) No right handed batter would sign  here ever unless it was an extreme overpay. I have hated that wall from day one and I don’t think it lasts much longer. Once they start doing the major renovations, I guarantee it comes in maybe not the extent of what it was before maybe  but it’s coming in.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Where Elias thought he was smarter than everybody  and decided to make hitting homers to left field almost impossible and so in his “genius”he only drafted left-handed hitters.

I don't think even today Elias has modified that vision.

The grand strategy's overall effectiveness is TBD for me until Holliday, Kjerstad and Basallo have  ~500-1000 PA to get on their way becoming whatever they are going to become.

Long-term exposure to AAA has I think maxed out its service to this roster nucleus.

5 hours ago, joelala said:

Bregman.

I think Bregman would be an awesome fit. I don’t know how you decide westburg/JH and who plays second, but Bregman would be that veteran RH hitter who has experience and enjoys the big moment.

Maybe we try JH at CF officially. Maybe he’s super utility next year, but that would be a weird way to develop a #1 prospect.

but I would love it if we got Bregman. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The grand strategy's overall effectiveness is TBD for me until Holliday, Kjerstad and Basallo have  ~500-1000 PA to get on their way becoming whatever they are going to become.

Long-term exposure to AAA has I think maxed out its service to this roster nucleus.

I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he changed nothing in terms of strategy.  Look at what he traded recently right handed batters. I feel like it is more important to him to be innovative, and develop players that have been forgotten or have failed in the major leagues than it is to actually win a World Series. Obviously, that’s the end goal of all the things he’s doing, but he wants to do it in a way that looks innovative, and it looks like he knows more about the players that failed and how to fix them than any other person. I honestly believe that is why Hyde has been here so long. He does everything that he’s told and they don’t want to bring in a manager that won’t do that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a lineup made up for him every day and I also wouldn’t be surprised if the whole game plan was planned out for him. What do you do when and where.. Obviously the numbers mean a lot in baseball and are extremely  helpful but they’re not everything. 

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disliked it for aesthetic reasons.

Still do.

I kept hoping, for the sake of my own enjoyment, that I'd eventually come around after having to look at it often enough, but, no, I still think it's ugly as sin. And I hate how it plays. 

3 minutes ago, deward said:

I kept hoping, for the sake of my own enjoyment, that I'd eventually come around after having to look at it often enough, but, no, I still think it's ugly as sin. And I hate how it plays. 

Why is it all bunched up at the top like an ill-fitting suit?

left-field-wall-2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I agree and would add Cowser to that mix, since “we” aren’t sure if he becomes anything more than this iteration; I.e., good fielder with pop but lots of whiff. 

• Upvote 1

I'm neutral on it. I don't like how the old dimensions played like a wiffle ball field. Both teams have to play on it and the O's do have two good OF's so in that sense it helps us. RHH will probably hate it so very few would ever sign in Baltimore unless they thought the O's were in World Series contention.

If they put it in the middle ground then the dimensions become like every other park and Im not sure I want that. At least Camden Yards plays different. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

According to park factors, OPaCy was friendlier overall to righties compared to lefties. This is the second time in three season that has been the case.

But it’s way friendlier to lefties in terms of hitting homers. 

So thats because the extra space in the OF allows for more balls to fall in? If so, I don't really see an issue if its providing offense in a different way.