Walltimore

Sanity Check

4 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I agree and would add Cowser to that mix, since “we” aren’t sure if he becomes anything more than this iteration; I.e., good fielder with pop but lots of whiff. 

Cowser's progress was one of the more encouraging elements this season, especially on the defensive side.

I was already crediting him with being Some Kind of Good major leaguer a post back.

Between his and Adley's standout bad performances on the HBP and 2-0 count, I give Cowser more of a grace.     Sure he had predetermined intent to swing, but I think the follow through was some raw instinct as hand bones fractured.

Adley not swinging was the lowlight how incapacitated he was.    I believe he commands the strike zone, but to feel so low you can't pull the trigger in that spot...sheesh.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I agree and would add Cowser to that mix, since “we” aren’t sure if he becomes anything more than this iteration; I.e., good fielder with pop but lots of whiff. 

Cowser’s  swing decisions are determined before the pitch is even thrown. And I’ve been saying this all year, and I even said this at the game. I go it’s too early to pinch it for him because his defense is too good but he is 100% going to strike out and that’s exactly what he did with bases loaded. He decides whether he is going to swing a pitch before even thrown This is why he swings at a pitch thrown pretty close to his face . And To be fair, he  had a pretty good season doing that but obviously can be  easily exploited

Edited by Spakman
  • Upvote 1

I can't say The Wall gives me all warm fuzzies but it doesn't swing at pitches a foot outside the zone or take a meatball right down the middle of the plate. It doesn't fail to move a runner over or lay down a decent sacrifice bunt. I've never seen it fail to get a hit with a runner in scoring position. At some point The Wall will probably be modified some but you build your team to play best in their home ball park. It's called home field advantage. IMO, Westy is the best right handed bat we have right now for this park. We need someone else like Westy that plays outfield. Bregman would be nice but I don't see it because of Westy and I have hopes Holliday becomes the OBP lead off hitter we need. Note - I'm still pissed but it's getting better. I think I'll live for another season.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Cowser’s  swing decisions are determined before the pitch is even thrown. And I’ve been saying this all year, and I even said this at the game. I go it’s too early to pinch it for him because his defense is too good but he is 100% going to strike out and that’s exactly what he did with bases loaded. He decides whether he is going to swing a pitch before even thrown This is why he swings at a thrown pretty close to his face . And To be fair,he  had a pretty good season doing that but obviously can be  easily exploited

Yeah like Tony T but Tony has the ability to foul pitches at will.  I want Cowser to be more like @waroriole’s Rob Refsnyder and Holliday to be Steven Kwan.  Is that too much to ask of number one picks?  But I love Cowser and most of everything he brings. 

Edited by bobmc
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I feel like they did it because our pitching sucked. Now it doesn't suck, so let's split the difference. I think it would be a mistake to go into 2025 with the current park dimensions. 

I feel like they did it to entice pitchers on short-term deals to come here and now have their stats blow up.

Aaron Judge whined about it so I’m a fan. 

The older I get, the more I think people just exist to look for confirmation biases. In all avenues of life. Paul Simon wrote “a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.”

I’m sure if we beat the Royals and advanced and Walltimore robbed three or four homers from the Royals, we’d be extolling its virtues and how great it is. 

But that didn’t happen. If anything, there were a couple instances where, if anything, it worked against us. 

So here we are.