O's target? Roki Sasaki

wildcard

I think Japanese pitchers are a much better investment than free agent MLB pitchers.  You are getting them earlier in their career and I think they have better mechanics and training habits and are therefore more durable.  Sasaki may not be posted this year, but there will be others available.  

Adjacent to this, I hadn't looked up Carter Stewart in a while, but I see that he has a 1.95 ERA in 120 innings for a team dominating the Japan Pacific League.

He's the kid born the same month as Grayson Rodriguez who was also a high 1st round high school arm.    Boras and Atlanta couldn't agree, and Stewart has since spent the age 19-24 seasons of his career over there.    He turns 25 next month.     

I don't know all the nuances but have heard at times age 25 has some meaning with respect to a Japanese league club's control over a player that might be interested in MLB.    

29 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Adjacent to this, I hadn't looked up Carter Stewart in a while, but I see that he has a 1.95 ERA in 120 innings for a team dominating the Japan Pacific League.

He's the kid born the same month as Grayson Rodriguez who was also a high 1st round high school arm.    Boras and Atlanta couldn't agree, and Stewart has since spent the age 19-24 seasons of his career over there.    He turns 25 next month.     

I don't know all the nuances but have heard at times age 25 has some meaning with respect to a Japanese league club's control over a player that might be interested in MLB.    

He’ll be a free agent after 2026 when he will have completed the six seasons to qualify as a foreign professional.

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

He’ll be a free agent after 2026 when he will have completed the six seasons to qualify as a foreign professional.

This is true but he has an option to opt out after his 25th Bday to void the last year I believe 

I'd love for the O's to get some more guys from Asia.  The O's had good luck with Wei-Yin Chen, even though Uehara didn't work out as a starter he was very good as a reliever.

Go for it and get good arms from wherever you can.  Even though I think Japanese arms prefer to play on or closer to the West Coast, you never know. 

5 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I'd love for the O's to get some more guys from Asia.  The O's had good luck with Wei-Yin Chen, even though Uehara didn't work out as a starter he was very good as a reliever.

Go for it and get good arms from wherever you can.  Even though I think Japanese arms prefer to play on or closer to the West Coast, you never know. 

Why not ?  I’m sure Rubenstein would like the Orioles presence in Asia market 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yeah, that game was amazing. The precursor to that was on Monday in Atlanta in Game 1 of the DH. The Mets had a 6-3 lead going to the bottom of the 8th and the Braves scored 4, topped off by an Albies bases loaded double.  So they went to the 9th down 7-6 after a really disheartening inning. Then Lindor hit a 2-run homer in the top of the 9th and the Mets ended up winning 8-7, which sent them to the playoffs.  When you do something like that, it can really build confidence and I think it helped them a lot last night. There is no way the Os would have been capable of either of the comebacks the Mets just pulled off, but it was really outstanding to watch.  Having guys like Lindor and Alonso really helps!  Philly is going to have their hands full with these Mets.
    • What would O’Hearn get if he does become a free agent?  He doesn’t hit for ton of power, decent runner but not lot of speed, average hitter with average on base percentage that doesn’t play defense well and mostly a platoon DH type guy. Could you decline option and get him for less or is he at market value at 8 milliin.  
    • I think at his age he's going to be what he's going to be velocity wise. Some guys are just going to be slim. He's not going to suddenly gains 15 pounds of muscle.
    • It’s very funny that you mentioned Brandon Lowe, because I was looking around for guys who appeared to be “clutch” hitters, in the context of hitting with men on base or in scoring position. And he was one who stood out on that basis as potentially being Actually Clutch 😂 He has a career 144 wRC+ in (regular season) high leverage situations (234 PAs), 141 wRC+ with men on base (1071 PAs), and 146 wRC+ with men in scoring position (626 PAs). All of which far outstrip his overall career number of 126 wRC+. Sort of shocking to see a guy who has been one of the best at coming through in the biggest (regular season) moments also have such a terrible postseason track record. He did hit 3 dingers in the World Series, but yeah…the stats are absolutely grim from pretty much every other postseason series. I guess it sort of does speak to the point that clutch is more of a mindset than it is an innate trait. The “playoff slump” is clearly in his head at this point, which has continued a pretty vicious cycle — but it’s not like he’s a guy who just buckles any time there’s any pressure at all. 
    • Say it louder from the back! So many people for some reason poo-poo on Povich when I thought he held his own quite well in his debut. Of course he's got some improving to do, but we've seen him throw the ball very well.  Just to add to your first 16 starts list: Kremer - 6.59 ERA, 5.50 FIP, 1.58 WHIP, 8.9 SO/9, 1.8 HR/9, 4.7 BB/9. 
    • I agree with the need for Rubenstein to show that he is financially committed to doing what's necessary to invest in a championship. However, even if we resign Burnes there will still be work today. We need a better bullpen (even with Felix there is no right handed set up guy that I really trust in big spots to be lock down) and we need a RH bat to help solve our issues against LHP.
    • I still think Burnes will be an Orioles if he signs for 5 years maybe 6 years,  If they demand 7+ years he will go somewhere else.  
  • Popular Contributors