O's target? Roki Sasaki

wildcard

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Do you think JA authorized Elias to bid on Ohtani?  As last offseason unfolded, I think there a strict budget cap was agreed to by JA and the new ownership group while details were being ironed out and Elias didn't waste anyones time including his own asking about Ohtani.  Who's been posted since Angelos sold the team?

Huh?

What's that got to do with what I said?

When Ohtani was posted only one team didn't even bother to make an offer.

I have no idea if Elias wanted to bid on anyone being posted.  I have no idea if the current owner is interested.

All I was saying is that historically they haven't even made a token offer.

Until the narrative changes it shouldn't be retired.

It's up to the Orioles to retire it.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They bid on anyone with a posting fee yet?

Only one team didn't even bother to make an offer for Ohtani.

I hear ya but let’s not view this ownership through the lens of the past owners egregious failings. I get Elias is not ownership but he is constrained by financial limitations he is presented with under Angelos and this new group. We all hope those limitations will be far less and ownership will give Elias more financial clout to spread around butI don’t know if it will change. Time will tell. 

I’d like to think it will change. I think that was the whole point of Uncle Dave being present and being a fan. I don’t think you do that whole act only to shrink away when your powers (financial resources) mater most. Let’s see how it plays out over the next few years

2 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I hear ya but let’s not view this ownership through the lens of the past owners egregious failings. I get Elias is not ownership but he is constrained by financial limitations he is presented with under Angelos and this new group. We all hope those limitations will be far less and ownership will give Elias more financial clout to spread around butI don’t know if it will change. Time will tell. 

I’d like to think it will change. I think that was the whole point of Uncle Dave being present and being a fan. I don’t think you do that whole act only to shrink away when your powers (financial resources) mater most. Let’s see how it plays out over the next few years

It's easy to come in and be the hero when you are replacing someone unpopular and the team is doing well.

Was he hanging around as much toward the end of the season when the team was struggling?

I hope things will work out great, but I'm a skeptic by nature.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's easy to come in and be the hero when you are replacing someone unpopular and the team is doing well.

Was he hanging around as much toward the end of the season when the team was struggling?

I am too my friend. There are times as an Oriole fan when I feel I need therapy for PTSD.  That said I am going to stay reasonably optimistic until there is reason to not be.  It’s going to take action in the form of financial resources for me to really start to get a trust vibe even under consideration. How Elias utilizes those resources is on him, I just want to see them made available

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

CoC , I also hope things work out great with uncle David , but I been teased before so I know the skepticism 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

What's that got to do with what I said?

When Ohtani was posted only one team didn't even bother to make an offer.

I have no idea if Elias wanted to bid on anyone being posted.  I have no idea if the current owner is interested.

All I was saying is that historically they haven't even made a token offer.

Until the narrative changes it shouldn't be retired.

It's up to the Orioles to retire it.

It looks like I misread your post as being about last offseason instead of the 2017-2018 offseason.  My mistake, but does that in any way affect my overall point - you know the part that I made explicit and you left out of your response - that all the old, reflexive Angelosian nonsense no longer automatically applies?

I'm unclear on what you're driving at, especially if I have to go back to the 2017-2018 offseason when Peter Angelos might still have been giving input on running the team.  I think it's a stretch to try to draw parallels to those days, or even the John Angelos years, to David Rubenstein potential as an owner.

10 hours ago, 24fps said:

It looks like I misread your post as being about last offseason instead of the 2017-2018 offseason.  My mistake, but does that in any way affect my overall point - you know the part that I made explicit and you left out of your response - that all the old, reflexive Angelosian nonsense no longer automatically applies?

I'm unclear on what you're driving at, especially if I have to go back to the 2017-2018 offseason when Peter Angelos might still have been giving input on running the team.  I think it's a stretch to try to draw parallels to those days, or even the John Angelos years, to David Rubenstein potential as an owner.

Until the team is shown to have a willingness to do something I'm assuming they aren't.

Same with a long term contract.