Hyde: No Idea if Suarez Will Be Back

Aristotelian

28 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

He was most likely out of gas by the end of the year.  He had over 200 innings in a 10 month span between Winter ball, spring training, minors and majors.  The question will be cost.  He doesn't have the track record of a guy like Gibson so i dont see him getting 10 million or close to that but some teams need arms so might over pay to get him and if it works out you deal him at the deadline.  I think he will get somewhere in the 3 to 5 million range on the open market so cheap enough but the question is how much do we want to upgrade the pitching talent.  We have a decent amount of good pitchers but a small amount of elite guys imo.  

I am not sure I would say he ran out of gas. I'd say his performance wa up and down in September. He had 2 good starts and 3 not so good starts. 

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He's a major asset when he costs $750k but not so much if he costs $5-10M and we have guys like McDermott and Young ready, with options remaining in case they struggle. If we pay Suarez $8M and he struggles like he did in September, would we have the guts to DFA him? 

I agree. I wouldn't pay him anywhere close to 8 million. 

48 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think his overall results were mostly smoke and mirrors. And as soon as he reached about 100 innings as a starter, the results were terrible. And I don't think he can strike enough guys out to pitch out of the pen.

He would be fine if he had options and could be used as needed, but I wouldn't want him consuming a spot on the 26 all season.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think he was terrible. He was certainly inconsistent in September but he had some up and down at other points too. I agree that he shouldn't be handed a spot but I'd like to keep him around for depth if it is possible and the roster supports it. I find it hard to put a value on him and so I wonder how other teams might value him, or not value him. 

I believe since Suarez was "released from a major league organization prior to reaching six years of service time", and was signed to a minor league deal, he would be a free agent at the end of the year. 

I'm not giving him a multi-year deal, but I'd give him a 1-year 5-7 million deal to be a depth SP. Worse case you move him to the pen, but as this year showed, you can never have enough SP depth.

57 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I am also confused. Here is his page on Spotrac which seems to imply that he is under the O's control and pre-arb. 

Screen Shot 2024-10-07 at 10.02.08.png

Conflicting info happens all the time . You can’t find on google but it you search on bing his contract pops right up. Which from Suarez’s pov makes sense. Why at age 35 would you want to box yourself into the minimum the next 2 years

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I believe since Suarez was "released from a major league organization prior to reaching six years of service time", and was signed to a minor league deal, he would be a free agent at the end of the year. 

I'm not giving him a multi-year deal, but I'd give him a 1-year 5-7 million deal to be a depth SP. Worse case you move him to the pen, but as this year showed, you can never have enough SP depth.

7 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

He's a free agent. I would offer him 5 million and that's it.

The fan in me would love to have him back, but how would that work if we were to sign an "impact starter" like everyone wants, along with providing opportunities for Povich, Young, and McDermott plus Rogers?

If he struggles you might say "stick him in the bullpen" but we have a pretty full group with few optionable guys. Between Bautista, Cano, Seranthony, Akin, Soto, and Webb, that is six guys. Plus we probably bring back one of Coulombe/Perez, and Elias likes to have at least one spot for waiver guys or optionable guys. I don't see where Suarez fits or who he would be better than. 

His biggest value is starting, but I don't know how long of a leash he could have when we already have four guys for two spots, and that's with no additional signings.