An early look at the 2025 Bullpen

sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Jeez I thought it was bad enough to have Soto/Domiguez in the bullpen as our trade deadline "upgrades" but now I am realizing the horror that they will be on the team in 2025, and for a cool near 15 million dollars no less. Get a LHH second baseman and print those WS tickets.

What's this gibberish?

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You need one legit upgrade to this pen. You can’t return the same pen and just replace Kimbrel with Bautista.

We need another high leverage guy. We also shouldn’t assume Bautista will come back and be perfectly healthy and as good as he was.

Well, part of their upgrades were made at the trade deadline.

I wouldn't mind seeing Perez and Webb go for guys with more upside and options.  But I'd be shocked if they handed out a multi-year FA contract to a RP.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, part of their upgrades were made at the trade deadline.

I wouldn't mind seeing Perez and Webb go for guys with more upside and options.  But I'd be shocked if they handed out a multi-year FA contract to a RP.

Perez is the one who needs to go imo.

Dominguez (0.2 bWAR), Soto (-0.1), Perez (-0.2)

We have no idea if Felix will be healthy or if he'll even be effective. That's a question mark.

Akin was awful/hurt in 2023, very good in low/medium leverage situations this year. Will we get the same out of him in 2025? 

I think you can rely on Webb, Cano, and Coulombe to be above average arms. 

Selby is under control, but he's also a wild card. 

I don't know, that bullpen isn't a strength. It has the upside of being very good. But there are some big, relatively expensive question marks in it (Soto, Dominguez). 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Perez is the one who needs to go imo.

He’s fine as a SU/MR for the regular season.  Tanner Scott ain’t walking through that door. Teams don’t exactly trade away LH RP that are clearly better than him. See Soto.  They’d have warts if available.

On a separate note, I  know everyone wants that 100 mph or near 100 mph type arm out the pen.  That best option for that looks like it is probably internally if McDermott could throw harder as a reliever, or if Morfe could.

I think we have enough already on hand to be a “good” bullpen, but we do have Mounty to dangle in a trade with Mayo as a replacement.  I don’t think someone would trade a SP for him, but we could get a top bullpen piece.  Who knows???

Edited by sportsfan8703

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s fine as a SU/MR for the regular season.  Tanner Scott ain’t walking through that door. Teams don’t exactly trade away LH RP that are clearly better than him. See Soto.  They’d have warts if available.

On a separate note, I  know everyone wants that 100 mph or near 100 mph type arm out the pen.  That best option for that looks like it is probably internally if McDermott could throw harder as a reliever, or if Morfe could.

I think we have enough already on hand to be a “good” bullpen, but we do have Mounty to dangle in a trade with Mayo as a replacement.  I don’t think someone would trade a SP for him, but we could get a top bullpen piece.  Who knows???

Lots of guys are fine. The Os need to upgrade. You can afford to get rid of “fine” for much better/higher upside.