Meoli on the 1st base situation

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't know how you can go into this season with him as your everyday first baseman as he hasn't logged a single game playing 1st base either in the minors or the majors. And it's not just something you pick-up in an offseason, especially for a guy that is somewhat defensively challenged. 

If you want to pencil him in as your regular DH, that's somewhat defensible. Then he can work on 1B throughout the season without being a liability in the field to start the season. We saw how much this team missed Mountcastle's glove when he was hurt. Mountcastle makes Gunnar look a lot better than, say, O'Hearn.

To whom are you referring?

Mayo and Kjerstad have both played 1B in the minors.

40 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But does it really change the fact of the matter if I said 600f abs (which is what 135 games is) instead of 700?  No, it's just a pointless diversion.

The fact still remains if you clear out a spot for the guy to hand him those ABs, and he falls on his face, which is a very real possibility, you have severely hurt your chances of winning the division/making the playoffs.

Did you or did you not say the exact same thing regarding Holliday and Urias/Mateo last off-season?  And would it have not severely hurt the O's chances of making the playoffs if they had done that?

The average MLer gets 3.8 at bats per game, roughly.  At 135 games, which is the high end of what I said, that is 513 at bats.

So while 600-700 isn’t a big difference, 450-510-700 is.

And again, that is just the plan to start the year. That plan gets adjusted depending on him.

Well I have no idea how Holliday would have performed had he had 400 or more at bats. Chuorio wasn’t good (but was better) his first 200 at bats this year either.  

One position isn’t stopping you from making the playoffs. If he falls on his face, we will still have other options and a trade can be made.

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

So they want him to be a short side platoon and get 30% of the abs?

What about all the people saying trade Mountcastle and O'Hearn?

I would expect that they would also assume he would get a fair number of at bats as a DH. I personally have not heard anyone advocating trading both Mountcastle and O'Hearn, but I don't really focus on this.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Again, if you trade Mountcastle and Santander walks, you are basically handing a full time role to Mayo- unless you bring someone in from outside the organization to take ABs from him, which I don't believe anyone is advocating.

Presumably we would sign/trade for a RH bat for the outfield. And then there is HK. Not sure how you get to 500.

23 hours ago, Pickles said:

So they want him to be a short side platoon and get 30% of the abs?

What about all the people saying trade Mountcastle and O'Hearn?

To be clear, I am for retaining O’hearn and trading Mountcastle. for a couple of reasons. Mountcastle will bring back a decent return. O’Hearn, while not a great defender anywhere, can play a support role at both first and RF. I think it would be crazy to be without both of them.