Taking a look at some early mock drafts...

I generally think mocks are fun, but unless you put the time in to research team draft strategies and even reach out to see who organizations are generally looking at, they aren't very useful. Fun to bat around ideas, but to be honest I'd rather just read sites that rank the prospects, which I think would be more useful. Of course, mocks are done by authors who are compiling rather than evaluating (which is fine) so I guess the value of the "rankings" would be a bit questionable, too.

Shrug...

Yeah, I guess that's what makes this time of year so fun. If you asked 10 guys what their top 10 is, you'll get 10 different lists. I have a hard time seeing Matzek at 8, but if you think:

Strasburg, Ackley, Crow, Scheppers, White, Gibson, Tate, Purke...I can see scenarios where it's possible, just not likely.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I guess that's what makes this time of year so fun. If you asked 10 guys what their top 10 is, you'll get 10 different lists. I have a hard time seeing Matzek at 8, but if you think:

Strasburg, Ackley, Crow, Scheppers, White, Gibson, Tate, Purke...I can see scenarios where it's possible, just not likely.

Yeah, it may not be likely. But it's certainly possible.

I also think Green is getting a little nitpicked, and wouldn't be surprised if someone ends up very happy with him in the 7-10 range.

Yeah, it may not be likely. But it's certainly possible.

I also think Green is getting a little nitpicked, and wouldn't be surprised if someone ends up very happy with him in the 7-10 range.

Totally concur. I see him as a solid, but not spectacular guy. Someone that will hit you .275 15HR and 75rbi from a premium position. Drew doesn't hit much more than that and look at how high he went.

If we take Gibson with Matzek and Purke available, I'll be extremely disappointed...

With his higher BB totals and lower velocity, Gibson has bust written all over him.

He has safe, not bust written all over him. He'll end up being one of those solid guys that eats innings but doesn't make an all-star game. There are plenty of them drafted in the first round. From someone who complains that we absolutely have to make sure to draft someone who makes it to the majors, it seems funny that you'd have a problem with someone that seems one of the best bets to do so.

Yeah Gibson is one of the safest we could draft. He still has good projectability too. I do not like the pick at 1:5 if we did take him, but I could think of an argument or 2 for us to take him so high. Im really liking Scheppers, possibly Crow or one of the HS pitchers.....

Yeah Gibson is one of the safest we could draft. He still has good projectability too. I do not like the pick at 1:5 if we did take him, but I could think of an argument or 2 for us to take him so high. Im really liking Scheppers, possibly Crow or one of the HS pitchers.....

At this point, I'm just hoping we take pitching. Outside of Ackley I don't see a bat that I can even call equal value for half of these guys at 1:5.

At this point, I'm just hoping we take pitching. Outside of Ackley I don't see a bat that I can even call equal value for half of these guys at 1:5.

With still a lot of time to change my mind . . . I think I am lining up like this right now from our perspective:

1. Strasburg

2. Matzek

3. Ackley

4. White

5. Gibson

6. Green

7. Tate (would be ahead of Green if we did not have a decent set of OF at the moment)

8. Crow

9. Purke

10. Miller

I think on that short list . . . Green, Crow, and Miller have the best chance to rush up. Ackley, White, and Tate have the best chance to drop down.

I reserve the privilege to completely change this order within the next 6 weeks.

Even though comps are usually a bunch of crap, you have to love Gibson's major league comp of Lackey. :)

I still don't see that one. Lackey throws a good 5-6MPH harder. Gibson has a chance to add a little more to his frame and get another 1-2 mph, but I don't ever see him really having a "power fastball".

I still don't see that one. Lackey throws a good 5-6MPH harder. Gibson has a chance to add a little more to his frame and get another 1-2 mph, but I don't ever see him really having a "power fastball".

Who are comp'ing these guys?

With still a lot of time to change my mind . . . I think I am lining up like this right now from our perspective:

1. Strasburg

2. Matzek

3. Ackley

4. White

5. Gibson

6. Green

7. Tate (would be ahead of Green if we did not have a decent set of OF at the moment)

8. Crow

9. Purke

10. Miller

I think on that short list . . . Green, Crow, and Miller have the best chance to rush up. Ackley, White, and Tate have the best chance to drop down.

I reserve the privilege to completely change this order within the next 6 weeks.

You want us to select Gibson or is that who you think the Orioles will select? I would bet my bottom dollar that Scheppers ends up somewhere in the top 10. Some folks are saying he may go as high as #2.

You want us to select Gibson or is that who you think the Orioles will select? I would bet my bottom dollar that Scheppers ends up somewhere in the top 10. Some folks are saying he may go as high as #2.

This is me valuing the players. This is not a prediction where people will go.

I would argue he's the best athlete in the entire draft.

He's raw, and would certainly take much longer to reach the Majors. But having watched the video of him all I can say is "Holy @#$@#$!".

He might be worthy of a 5th pick. I suspect the O's will look at a pitcher with the pick as there are plenty to choose from - Crow, Scheppers, Matzek, Purke, etc... I suspect Ackley will be gone, and Green will have scared us off with his senior year. Plus, I know Jordan LOVES those toolsy high school types....Might we end up with Tate?

Archived