anyone know much about Gary Helmick?

Towson certainly doesn't face elite competition. But there's no arguing Helmick hasn't had a sensational season...

The numbers are gaudy. .425 avg 15 HR and reportedly a great glove at second base.

Maybe a late round flier?

Towson certainly doesn't face elite competition. But there's no arguing Helmick hasn't had a sensational season...

The numbers are gaudy. .425 avg 15 HR and reportedly a great glove at second base.

I'm a Towson student and am pretty familiar with the team. Helmick is an excellent hitter but a suspect fielder. I would hardly grade him out as having a "great" glove. He and Bowie bench player Brian Conley used to be Towson's middle infielders. Between the two, it was shoddy at best.

If his bat were to grade out anywhere, 2B is the best place for it to be. Granted, he was a sophomore when Conley played SS at his side. Conley moved to the outfield when a freshman came and took his job at short last year. Helmick has improved since then, but what you draft now is what you'll get. There really isn't that much room for him to improve.

Is Helmick worth a late-round flier? I'd put him there. Like you said, nobody can argue the season he's having, but I'm not expecting him to rise up anybody's draft boards. I'd love to see Helmick picked up by the O's. He'd probably make it 2-3 years as organizational depth.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen Helmick play and agree at your attempt to compliment his skills at the plate. It looks as if his improvement over the years is setting himself up for a potential draft pick. I'd like to see the Orioles pick up this athlete before the word gets out about his quick glove.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it was 17 home runs. Led the league in hitting. He might even have the arm to play shortstop professionally. Certainly second base. Good defender. Named 3rd team all-American. Towson's conference is just below the level of the ACCs and SECs. They do decently playing all but the top ACC teams. A good way to guage how good a player from a second line conference is: how has he done in summer wooden bat leagues -- and was it one of the top leagues? I don't know what Helmick did there. But his numbers look a ton better than the infielder we picked in the 12th round -- AL Bumbry's son. I'm for sentiment and loyalty to the old boys, but this seems like an overboard choice.

Archived