Motivation for apparent frugality?

No excuse readily apparent to an outsider without access to the O's financial books, scouting and analysis, international free agent roadmap, and future trade and free agent targets.

You keep repeating over and over that the O's should spend like a large market team, but they're 23rd in the league in attendance, and reside in the 26th-largest media market in the country (behind Sacramento, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Portland, and Pittsburgh).

They're 23rd in attendance because the team has been lousy for 12 years, and MASN goes a long way towards making up for the small media market in terms of revenue. This was a very healthy organization financially and in terms of attendance when the team was winning, and there's no financial reason not to invest in making it a winning organization again. We can't spend like Boston and New York on free agents, but spending on amateur talent is a lot cheaper and we should be doing that aggressively.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're 23rd in attendance because the team has been lousy for 12 years, and MASN goes a long way towards making up for the small media market in terms of revenue. This was a very healthy organization financially and in terms of attendance when the team was winning, and there's no financial reason not to invest in making it a winning organization again. We can't spend like Boston and New York on free agents, but spending on amateur talent is a lot cheaper and we should be doing that aggressively.

At the end of the year, MASN pays the Orioles and the Nationals the same in revenue to broadcast their games. The Orioles are outdrawing the Nationals in TV viewership than the Nationals in DC! I expect a big drop in money paid to both ballclubs from last year ($26m each) for 2009.

At the end of the year, MASN pays the Orioles and the Nationals the same in revenue to broadcast their games. The Orioles are outdrawing the Nationals in TV viewership than the Nationals in DC! I expect a big drop in money paid to both ballclubs from last year ($26m each) for 2009.

The money should stay the same for the most part. Subscriber fees are paid through cable companies no matter if the homeowner watches the games or not. Pay's the same. The ad dollars may drop somewhat.

The money should stay the same for the most part. Subscriber fees are paid through cable companies no matter if the homeowner watches the games or not. Pay's the same. The ad dollars may drop somewhat.

Not to mention that the Orioles make a lot less than other teams with RSN's which don't also have to pay out $25-30m to another franchise without being able to collect a second set of subscriber fees.

No excuse readily apparent to an outsider without access to the O's financial books, scouting and analysis, international free agent roadmap, and future trade and free agent targets.

You keep repeating over and over that the O's should spend like a large market team, but they're 23rd in the league in attendance, and reside in the 26th-largest media market in the country (behind Sacramento, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Portland, and Pittsburgh).

I do agree, but that market thing is a bit dicey because the Baltimore/Washington market is so blurred. There is no defining line where one favors the other market and since they've been around longer I think the O's have a much larger share of that market that people like to think.

I do completely agree that they are bleeding money though, so any chance they get to save they will need just to stay out of the red. I'd love to know what the yearly operating costs are not including the payroll on average.

Does the club think that Ty Wigginton for $4 million per year is a wiser investment than an extra $2 million per year in amateur spending? I would rather they adjust their budget to reduce spending on bench players and middle relievers, and increase the spending on amateur signings. That's just one man's opinion.

Only problem with this thought process is that Angelos gets the MASN Profit$.

I think we need to dispel this Sano talk; he was worked out by the O's once, right? The kid has been looked at by many, many ML clubs, and the Orioles haven't been a front runner at any point.

We're likely not "saving" up for anything, Jordan just looked at other guys who were asking too much for their slot, and decided to take the more singable guys instead. The money isn't being hoarded for anything in particular.

I think we need to dispel this Sano talk; he was worked out by the O's once, right? The kid has been looked at by many, many ML clubs, and the Orioles haven't been a front runner at any point.

We're likely not "saving" up for anything, Jordan just looked at other guys who were asking too much for their slot, and decided to take the more singable guys instead. The money isn't being hoarded for anything in particular.

As has been mentioned before, it's about getting bang for your buck.

MacPhail didn't feel the difference between Hobgood & Matzek was worth the difference in what they were asking for.

Doesn't mean that Matzek won't be a better pitcher. He very well may - but as with any expenditure in baseball, you have to ask yourself :

What's he worth?

True, but I'm sure that Sano is not the only Caribbean player worth a significant investment next month. I say this without knowing anything specifically about the amateur talent in the Caribbean, only that there have always been a lot of MLB-worthy players from that region whom the Orioles did not sign.

So maybe this is the year that starts to change. One or two high-dollar signings from this source -- maybe in the mid-six-figure range -- wouldn't shock me.

In fact, I almost expect it.

As has been mentioned before, it's about getting bang for your buck.

MacPhail didn't feel the difference between Hobgood & Matzek was worth the difference in what they were asking for.

Doesn't mean that Matzek won't be a better pitcher. He very well may - but as with any expenditure in baseball, you have to ask yourself :

What's he worth?

I definitely agree.

My take is that the O's really liked Hobgood, maybe more than Matzek/Wheeler, maybe not. In the end, though, they didn't expect him to drop another 40 or so picks, and since you can't trade selections in the MLB draft, they decided to take a guy who would be much cheaper, and hopefully nearly as good.

True, but I'm sure that Sano is not the only Caribbean player worth a significant investment next month. I say this without knowing anything specifically about the amateur talent in the Caribbean, only that there have always been a lot of MLB-worthy players from that region whom the Orioles did not sign.

So maybe this is the year that starts to change. One or two high-dollar signings from this source -- maybe in the mid-six-figure range -- wouldn't shock me.

In fact, I almost expect it.

Other players I can definitely see, but Sano in particular has been heavily scouted by certain teams for years now, and the O's would have to really man up in order to bring in that kid.

• 2 months later...

Archived