Looking ahead to the 2010 MLB draft

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Harper was 2011.

He should be; however, there's a chance he might be taken as early as 2010, depending on what course of action him and his parents take. Given that Boras is his advisor, I have no doubt that he'll try to enter the draft as early as next year.

The UNC pitcher Harvey should be pretty good. Harper as far as I know isnt a lock for the 2010 draft just yet. It was reported that him and his parents are thinking about dropping him out of HS, getting the GED so he can join a JuCo to play baseball for in 2010 so he can be drafted that year......as far as I know its not a definate yet though......

Other than Bryce Harper (who may or may not be eligible), who are some of the other names you expect to see at the top of the draft in 2010?

Thanks in advance!

Jon Mayo Ten names to watch 2010

High school

Cameron Bedrosian, RHP, East Coweta HS, Ga.: That's right, it's Steve's son and the kid can throw. He's not a real big right-hander, but he's got good stuff with a low-90s fastball, and his breaking ball, a hard power curve, is a serious out pitch. He's also got a changeup and he's a real strike-thrower, learning how to do things the right way from his dad.

Yordy Cabrera, SS, Lakeland HS, Fla.: Another young player with bloodlines, as his father is a Minor League coach in the Tigers organization. Cabrera is an infielder and pitcher, though most see his future in the field rather than on the mound. He's a strong right-handed hitter with good bat speed that produces some power and there should be more there in the future. He's got good arm strength, throwing up to 94 mph from the mound, but he'll probably have to move over to third in the future. It does seem like he'll have plenty of bat to play a corner infield position if necessary.

AJ Cole, RHP, Oveida HS, Fla: Cole might have the one of best arms in the class. The athletic right-hander is tall and projectable at 6-foot-5, 190 pounds. His fastball sits comfortably in the 90-93 range, but he can reach back for more when he needs it. His curve has good depth and bite. His changeup is OK, but lags behind since he doesn't need to use it much, though it should be just fine down the line. He's a good competitor and has already pitched well on some big stages.

Kaleb Cowart, SS/RHP, Cook County HS, Ga.: He's a two-way player who some may like as an infielder, others as a pitcher. Cowart has made it known he'd prefer to be a position player. He's athletic and smooth defensively with good hands and obvious arm strength (he throws in the 90s from the mound). He swings the bat well, though his hitting ability won't jump out at you as much as Cabrera's will. A really good athlete, he's got a little Casey Kelly look to him, and he might project at third base as he matures physically.

Jameson Taillon, RHP, The Woodlands HS, TX: What's a draft class without at least one big, hard-throwing right-hander from Texas, right? Taillon fits the bill coming from The Woodlands, the same school Kyle Drabek attended. He pitches in the low 90s, can touch the mid-90s and there might be even more in the tank there. A power 12-to-6 curve is a good out pitch now. Power is his game, but he does flash a changeup. It needs work, but right now it looks like Taillon should have three pitches and be a starter in the future.

College

Christian Colon, SS, Cal-State Fullerton: A 10th-round pick of the Padres in 2007, he would have gone much higher if not for his strong commitment to Fullerton. He was a freshman All-American and started every game for a Team USA team that went undefeated over the summer. He hit .352 as the sophomore shortstop for the College World Series-bound Titans, but might be a second baseman at the next level. Either way, he gets plaudits for playing the game the right way.

Matt Harvey, RHP, North Carolina: Another player fans can see in Omaha later this month, Harvey was a first-round talent taken in the third round of the 2007 Draft by the Angels, who couldn't lure him away from his commitment to be a Tar Heel. The big right-hander was a freshman All-American a year ago, but had an uneven sophomore season, going 7-2 with a 5.35 ERA, striking out 78 in 70 2/3 IP.

Drew Pomeranz, LHP, Mississippi: The lefty was the ace of the Ole Miss staff as a sophomore, going 8-4 with a 3.40 ERA over 16 starts. He struck out 124 and walked just 37 over 95 1/3 innings of work. He got Ole Miss to a Super Regional by tossing a complete game with 16 strikeouts against Western Kentucky. The Rangers took him in the 12th round of the '07 Draft and he's now perhaps the best college lefty to look out for in 2010.

Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, LSU: When Ranaudo was taken in the 11th round of the '07 Draft by Rangers, he was all projection and arm strength, but didn't have much more than the fastball. He's 6-foot-7, so there was a lot to dream on, but he opted to go to work on his pitching at LSU. After not pitching all that much as a freshman (he had some elbow tendinitis), he took off this year, going 10-3 with a 2.95 ERA, striking out 147 over 109 2/3 IP and keeping hitters to a .198 average. Watch the College World Series if you want to glimpse at perhaps the best college right-hander in next year's Draft class.

Victor Sanchez, 3B, San Diego: A shortstop in high school who was drafted in the 25th round by the Cubs in '07, Sanchez has settled into third base as a collegiate player at San Diego. He's played every day right from the get-go and started showing the raw power people liked with 12 homers as a freshman. He wasn't able to build off of that in his sophomore season, as an injury shut him down after just 28 games, but the preseason All-American will be 100 percent to try to become the best college power bat next year.

I really like the sounds of Victor Sanchez.

It certainly seems like we'll have another top 10 pick, if not top 5 again, so we'll be able to add another premium talent. I like the little I've read about Jameson Taillon, but so much will change that thinking about next years draft is almost a waste of time.

I'll throw a couple other college pitchers:

Deck McGuire, GT (there's an ACC guy for you McNulty)

Jimmy Reyes, Elon

Daniel Renken, Cal st. Fullerton

At this point we should be hoping we tank next season, the 2011 draft looks absolutely redic. for talent. You got the phenom Bryce Harper if he doesn't sneak in to next years, and then a ton of college pitchers that look lights out. Hultzen @ VA, Ramirez @ Cal st., and Jungmann @ TX all have big time potential.

Archived