Who's your 2008 SS

bigbird

Tomohiro Nioka (Japan) - Nioka, who is wrapping up his ninth year with the Yomiuri Giants, could be the best shortstop available as a free agent this winter. The 31-year-old hit .289/.329/.472 with 25 homers last year and is batting .294/.340/.456 with 17 homers in 412 at-bats this season. Nioka's power probably wouldn't translate very well over to the majors and he's not a basestealer, but he would offer very good defense.

Not sure we really need a 32-year-old 8-10 homer guy who doesn't walk. Sounds like a recipe for a .270/.300/.375 line.

I'd have to have a lot of confirmation from the scouts that his defense really is superb, but I suppose that would depend on the O's finding a scout who's seen a Japanese baseball game.

Might as well acquire a random Grade C- prospect like Brian Bixler or Mike Aviles and pay them $350k.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure we really need a 32-year-old 8-10 homer guy who doesn't walk. Sounds like a recipe for a .270/.300/.375 line.

I'd have to have a lot of confirmation from the scouts that his defense really is superb, but I suppose that would depend on the O's finding a scout who's seen a Japanese baseball game.

Might as well acquire a random Grade C- prospect like Brian Bixler or Mike Aviles and pay them $350k.

Exactly...you let the Cubs sign him

Archived