Matt Hobgood/JTrea Petition

I agree with you. The Orioles seem to have a surplus of pitching, yet continue to draft pitching. Smoak and Matusz would have been my choice over Matusz and Hobgood. I do not care for Matzek's personality and wonder how he will do when he gets hit hard. I like Hobgood's personality, but personalities ate not what players great on the field. Although it does make them popular off of it. I still think that the Orioles made a mistake with Smoak, especially considering that they could have drafted Matzek this summer and still had a nice pitcher.

:scratchchinhmm:

In light of the lambasting by a specific poster of the Orioles First Round selection in the 2009 MLB First Year Player Draft, Matt Hobgood, the below posters that sign this petition decree that if sometime before 2014, the aforementioned draft pick reaches the Major Leagues and becomes a member of the Orioles' starting rotation, JTrea eats his favorite Orioles baseball cap.

If before 2016 Hobgood wins 10 games or more in a single season, JTrea will purchase a Hobgood jersey and.... eat it.

If at any point in his career Hobgood wins a Cy Young Award, JTrea will hand write a letter of apology to Andy McPhail and Joe Jordan for ever questioning their decision making abilities regarding player personnel.

If at any point in his career Hobgood is the staff anchor for a World Series winning Orioles team, JTrea will purchase a Boog's BBQ platter for each member of the Orioles Hangout community.

Any suggestions for the petition from the OH community are appreciated. Please demonstrate your support of this petition with a Tony the Tiger-esque proclamation "Hobgood is Hobgrrrrrrrrreeeeaaatt!!!!"

I don't happen to agree with JTrea about Hobgood, but this board would be extremely boring if this poster got his way and nobody felt that they were allowed to say negative and critical things about the organization.

So I will not be signing this petition.

I don't happen to agree with JTrea about Hobgood, but this board would be extremely boring if this poster got his way and nobody felt that they were allowed to say negative and critical things about the organization.

So I will not be signing this petition.

This board would be extremely boring if everybody had their funny bone surgically removed like this poster.

When references to hat eating, Boog's pit beef sandwiches and Tony the Tiger are made in a single post, it should be clear that the message is meant to be that of light-hearted ribbing instead of intense attacks.

Get over yourself.

I have never once said Hobgood will fail nor do I hope he will fail, just like I never said Matusz would fail, nor do I hope he fails.

However Matzek was the pitcher with more talent IMO and Smoak was and is a more valuable player than Matusz IMO.

That doesn't meant that Hobgood and Matusz are bad players, but they are not as valuable as Matzek and Smoak at this point IMO.

If both of these guys continue on a fast track to MLB in 2010, the potential #1/#2 SP almost certainly trumps the potential All-Star 1Bman. A stud LH SP might be the single most valuable commodity in the game; a 1Bman would have to be almost Pujols-like to exceed that value. That's just the way teams see pitching.

I actually agree that Smoak was slightly more valuable at this time last year, but as Matusz's season continues, his ceiling looks increasingly attainable. And if you are talking about their value at their ceilings, then Matusz is the clear choice.

All this my opinion, of course; in real life this argument will probably never be settled.

If both of these guys continue on a fast track to MLB in 2010, the potential #1/#2 SP almost certainly trumps the potential All-Star 1Bman. A stud LH SP might be the single most valuable commodity in the game; a 1Bman would have to be almost Pujols-like to exceed that value. That's just the way teams see pitching.

I actually agree that Smoak was slightly more valuable at this time last year, but as Matusz's season continues, his ceiling looks increasingly attainable. And if you are talking about their value at their ceilings, then Matusz is the clear choice.

All this my opinion, of course; in real life this argument will probably never be settled.

Fangraphs would seem to disagree.

Mark Teixeira

Cole Hamels

Hamels arguably had a career season last year and was worth $20.5 million and had a 4.6 WAR. Teixeira's last season which overall was a career year for him showed him had a 6.7 WAR and he was worth $30.4 million.

So if both players do reach their ceiling, Smoak will be the more valuable player if he turns into Teixeira and Matusz turns into Hamels.

Now obviously this is all speculation, as we don't know if either player will reach their ceilings, but if I had to bet, just based on the injury risk, Smoak has a better chance of reaching Teixeira's 2008 season and sustaining it, than Matusz does of reaching Hamels' 2008 and sustaining it.

Archived