How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, but I disagree. The market is set by what teams are willing to offer a player. How can you possibly determine a player's value other than by considering your position relative to offers from other teams? There's no objective value - there's only the market, which is largely subjective.

For example, the Yankees set the market regularly. They did so by outbidding for Sabbathia and Texeira. They are reaping the rewards for their aggressive pursuit of elite talent at the MLB level. (They still suck.)

Perhaps the Orioles can be just as aggressive, but at the MiLB level - and if they think Sano is that talented, they should give him $6 million. Hell, that's LESS than we're paying Danys Baez for one year of horrible middle relief!

Technically there is two ways to value a player.

1.) His worth to you

2.) His worth to others

If a lot of teams view him as late early to mid first round talent, but have the money to spend then why not roll the dice. If the Orioles view him as a late first round talent that is not worth that kind of money, then they pass. I would rather see the Orioles sign 5 or 6 guys in the $500k range than on guy in the $3 Million range. That is why the MLB draft has so many rounds. The risk and attrition is greater. Signing multiple players for less money could play out better than signing one for more money. The Orioles could essentially sign an additional 5 second-third round prospects. Sooner or later they are going to need to spend additional funds on talent. It may be the only way for this team to rebuild a destroyed image of club.

• 6 years later...

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/04/12/miguel-sano-umpire-john-hirschbeck-told-me-get-the-expletive-out-of-here/

I know that if I?m looking for strike zone judgment, I?m definitely listening to Sano over a veteran like Adam Jones, who has an absurdly low career walk rate of four percent. Age doesn?t beget strike zone wisdom.

Good thing, they dont come back to town this season. :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The Mariners have the 8th-worst offense in MLB. Or 23nd-best. As measured by either wRC+ or OPS+. They look worse than they are because of a park that suppresses runs by 8% or so. On the other hand, that means that their 3.77 team ERA is really just a tick above average. And about on par with the Cubs' 4.46. While you're probably exaggerating about Norfolk, the Tides are playing in 5+ run a game baseball, almost a Colorado context. Factor in that runs are worth whole lot less there and the level of the competition and the Mariners' offense is obviously better. Overall the Tides have a .798 OPS in what's now a hitter's paradise in AAA. If you promoted them all at once to the Majors my guess is they'd OPS something like .650 as a group in OPACY, if they're lucky, or perhaps .600 in Seattle. Or look at it this way... the Tides' pitchers are giving up 5.7 runs per game, a tick better than (by far) the worst MLB team, the Rockies. So if you promoted the whole Norfolk team they'd not only score the fewest runs in MLB, but allow something like seven runs a game and would end up probably playing .150 or .200 ball.
    • MLB.com: Examining the trade market for starting pitching this season  
    • I'm not sure about every other game when they are out on the road but the ballpark app tells you the jersey color ahead of time. I usually look at it just before I head to a game.
    • Don't short change my dude O'Hearn.  He had a double and 2 rbi on that play so accounted for 3 of our runs total!
    • There are 76 games for us to play (74 for the Yankees).   The standings could flip in a weekend.   I think the team has the right approach, just win the game in front of them and worry about the rest later.   Back in May/June when we were playing great ball but the Yankees were winning at an insane rate I said we should just worry about ourselves and the rest would take care of itself.  It’s no surprise that the Yankees hit a rough patch, but they’re also capable of going on another tear.  If we play consistently good baseball, we’ll be fine.   
    • Figured he needs a bump after his outing yesterday. I watched his effort and it was total domination, he had great control of all his pitches. Also found out his previous outing which he struggled was due to him being under the weather. Like the previous posters have pointed out, FB hit 94 and plays up due to him being 6' 6, definitely worth monitoring his progression
    • I expect Mayo up in a couple weeks. It feels like Elias operates about a month behind the big clamoring of fans with these promotions. It would make the most sense for it to be for Urias, so I hope that works out. And by works out, I mean a trade that benefits the Os but also offers Ramon a decent landing spot.
  • Popular Contributors