CB Bucknor: How bad is he really?

blueberryale77

This guy seems to have a bad and ever growing reputation around baseball as "the worst umpire" or at least one of the worst. I've seen him make several really terrible calls and a lot that I didn't exactly agree with, but I've also seen a lot of other umpires appear to be incompetent with less fanfare. I wonder to what extent I notice his terrible calls more because his reputation precedes him. Does anyone know of any performance metrics for umpires that are available to the public? Obviously it would be difficult, but you could compare an umpire's strike zone to a computerized ball and strike caller, go through and analyze video and estimate a percentage of wrong calls, or even just keep stats on how many arguments different umpires get from managers or how many players and coaches they eject.

I ask this now because of his highly controversial interference call against Marlon Anderson which cost the Mets a game against the Phillies this week, but I've been wondering about him for awhile. Does he get picked on more because he's one of very, very few black umpires? Or is there any truth to the sentiment I've heard numerous times that he would never have made it to the majors or would have been somehow relieved of his duties by now if he were white? Is the problem regular racism, reverse racism, or just innocent, old-fashioned bad umpiring?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2007/08/calling_out_cb.html

Calling out CB

CB Bucknor is the worst umpire not named Chuck Meriweather.

It's universally agreed upon by everyone in baseball. Good luck finding an argument.

Bucknor has infuriated the Orioles in one inning.

He wouldn't give Erik Bedard a strike against David Ortiz, and the left-hander stared down Bucknor as he walked to the dugout. Brian Roberts was called out on strikes and showed his displeasure.

Manager Dave Trembley won't be long for this game. He stood on the top step and screamed at Bucknor after a called third strike on Nick Markakis. Bucknor removed his mask and took a few steps toward Trembley, then angrily motioned for him to sit down.

Bucknor might be making another gesture at Trembley real soon. If I was Trembley, I'd be making one right back - just not in view of the kids.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2007/08/shocking_news.html

CB Bucknor blew another call.

Eric Hinske was out at second base in the ninth inning. The replays showed it. Brian Robertes applied the tag before Hinske's foot hit the bag. But Bucknor called him safe.

Luckily for the Orioles, the latest Bucknor brain-cramp didn't cost them - though it forced Danys Baez to throw a few more pitches.

Bucknor is pretty bad, but I think he was right to call interference on Anderson. He clearly went out of his way to obstruct the throw.

Agreed. Bucknor is a terrible ump, but his interference call on Marlon Anderson was absolutely correct. I have to give him some credit, because that was a ballsy call to make in that situation.

The book on Bucknor is that he relishes antagonizing the home team fans and will always favor the roadies. He is also supposedly very aggressive. I haven't watched enough of him to know if this is true, but that is what I have read about him numerous times.

I don't think the fact that he is black has anything to do with it (and I hope it doesn't), I think it's the fact that he is perceived to be so antagonistic.

The call on Anderson was 100% correct...and for the next month (or two, I hope), I'll admit that I'm jumping on the Phillies bandwagon. For one thing...I'm here. It wouldn't be a bad thing if I could see some postseason baseball live. For another thing...they're such an easy team to like. Jimmy Rollins is, IMO, the best shortstop in MLB. Ryan Howard is a beast. Hamels is exciting - hope he comes back soon. And guys like Utley, Rowand, Victorino...they just play all out all the time. Also would be nice to see Jamie Moyer get some postseason success at long last.

The call on Anderson was 100% correct...and for the next month (or two, I hope), I'll admit that I'm jumping on the Phillies bandwagon. For one thing...I'm here. It wouldn't be a bad thing if I could see some postseason baseball live. For another thing...they're such an easy team to like. Jimmy Rollins is, IMO, the best shortstop in MLB. Ryan Howard is a beast. Hamels is exciting - hope he comes back soon. And guys like Utley, Rowand, Victorino...they just play all out all the time. Also would be nice to see Jamie Moyer get some postseason success at long last.

I agree, they're a fun team to watch.

If Brett Myers would drop dead I would see your point. As it is, while I acknowledge that all the players you mention are good, my overwhelming hatred of him trumps any respect for them. In a way it would be kind of funny to see them go to the WS and Pat Burrell be the MVP because I don't know what the angry, hate-filled Philly fan mob would do. On the other hand, he's kind of an arrogant jerk and I rather suspect that roids had something to do with him falling off the table in his mid to late 20s so while I don't think he should be banished from the face of the earth forever I don't really want to see him get redemption in that big of a way. Then there's this little matter of having committed myself to the Mets as my NL team last year when they were all aggressive and exciting. They really are makin me mad this year, but I don't want to be a fair weather fan even of my #2 team.

Meh, I'm here now and I still can't manage to follow a team other than the O's. I got back to my room just in time to see the 9th inning yesterday :o

Bucknor is pretty bad, but I think he was right to call interference on Anderson. He clearly went out of his way to obstruct the throw.

I didn't see this play (anyone have a link?) but how was it different than every other time a player tries to break up a double play? I see guys sliding well outside of the bag because that's where the SS/Second baseman happens to be standing. I can understand sliding in hard but when you're blatantly aiming for a guy who already tried to get out of the way, this should be called out every time.

Again I didn't see this play but if it's like how I described it, then the rule just needs to be enforced more consistently. If it's not going to be enforced 100% of the time, don't pick and choose when you're going to do it.

I didn't see this play (anyone have a link?) but how was it different than every other time a player tries to break up a double play? I see guys sliding well outside of the bag because that's where the SS/Second baseman happens to be standing. I can understand sliding in hard but when you're blatantly aiming for a guy who already tried to get out of the way, this should be called out every time.

Again I didn't see this play but if it's like how I described it, then the rule just needs to be enforced more consistently. If it's not going to be enforced 100% of the time, don't pick and choose when you're going to do it.

The second baseman took the toss from short on the centerfield side of the base, touched it as he crossed over, and jumped towards the infield grass to make the throw to first. The runner slid so his foot was touching second, but the rest of his body was on the infield side a good four feet inside the bag.

It was blatent interference, and anyone that is arguing otherwise (other then the Mets) probably has the aforementioned view of the umpire.

Archived