Bunt!!!

SweetbabyJ

I agree with this ... I don't distinguish between a no-hitter and a one-hitter with a bunt single.

A no-hitter goes in the record books, especially by a rookie in his second start, a 1 hitter doesn't. I think we've been in the record books enough for one season, don't you. We didn't need to get no-hit. But at least we preserved the sanctity of the game. :rolleyes:

Too many people here are wasting too much emotion on being no-hit. It happens to several teams each year. It isn't that embarrasing.

Not that embarassing, wow. I guess you are one of the guys who has taken an indifferent stance toward the team. I find it extremely embarrassing. We couldn't get one hit off a rookie pitcher. It shows how bad our offense really is.

Buchholz is a stud prospect and we had never seen him before so it isn't that suprising that he would have success.

This is a failure in our scouting dept. He should have been scouted at some point by Orioles scouts. Especially since he was likely to be a callup for September, when we face the Sox the most.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JTrea in bold:

A no-hitter goes in the record books, especially by a rookie in his second start, a 1 hitter doesn't. I think we've been in the record books enough for one season, don't you. We didn't need to get no-hit. But at least we preserved the sanctity of the game. :rolleyes:

How often do you look at the record books? Name the last 3 times the Orioles were no hit without looking it up. It will be forgotten.

Not that embarassing, wow. I guess you are one of the guys who has taken an indifferent stance toward the team. I find it extremely embarrassing. We couldn't get one hit off a rookie pitcher. It shows how bad our offense really is.

Anibel Sanchez no hit a team last year. Name that team without looking it up.

This is a failure in our scouting dept. He should have been scouted at some point by Orioles scouts. Especially since he was likely to be a callup for September, when we face the Sox the most.

Perhaps ... I just give him his props for doing a great job and move on. We have a tough month ahead, we will lose a lot of games, but if we get to see the kids play it will be worth it to me.

How often do you look at the record books? Name the last 3 times the Orioles were no hit without looking it up. It will be forgotten.

Not that I'm condoning his behavior or attitude about this, but: Bucholz, Nomo, Alveraz. And that last one was also a 2nd start in the majors no-hitter, in 91.

I agree with this ... I don't distinguish between a no-hitter and a one-hitter with a bunt single.

Too many people here are wasting too much emotion on being no-hit. It happens to several teams each year. It isn't that embarrasing. Buchholz is a stud prospect and we had never seen him before so it isn't that suprising that he would have success. A no-hitter is surprising, but he did a great job of keeping his emotions in tact and shutting us down. Good for him.

Now, lets sweep the D-Rays.

I tend to agree w/ you about the emotional aspects of being no hit. I'm not really all that embarrassed and even if I was, it's way down on the list of things to be embarrassed about with regards to this team. What really bothers me though is the sentiment that there's some "unwritten code" that says we have to make it easier for a guy to get a no-hitter.

I What really bothers me though is the sentiment that there's some "unwritten code" that says we have to make it easier for a guy to get a no-hitter.

As a baseball fan I tend to believe that if you break up a no-hitter in the 9th inning with a bunt single down by a bunch of runs that it is bush league. I don't know about any code, but as a baseball fan I would think that was pretty weak. Assuming of course that this is a Josh Bard type player, i.e. someone who would never bunt in the first place.

That I don't know without looking it up, I just remember the ones I've seen against my team.

And I guess my point was that baseball fans aren't going to remember who Buchholz no-hit next year at this time, they will just know he no-hit someone.

I don't get embarrased by things I can't control and I clearly can't control how bad the Orioles are.:D

And I guess my point was that baseball fans aren't going to remember who Buchholz no-hit next year at this time, they will just know he no-hit someone.

I don't get embarrased by things I can't control and I clearly can't control how bad the Orioles are.:D

I got your point, and completely agree with it.

As a baseball fan I tend to believe that if you break up a no-hitter in the 9th inning with a bunt single down by a bunch of runs that it is bush league. I don't know about any code, but as a baseball fan I would think that was pretty weak. Assuming of course that this is a Josh Bard type player, i.e. someone who would never bunt in the first place.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's more bush league to expect a team to lay down and give up what could be their best opportunity to get on base so that you can say you got a no hitter.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's more bush league to expect a team to lay down and give up what could be their best opportunity to get on base so that you can say you got a no hitter.

It'd be bush league if we had 5 hits and we tried laying down a bunt with the score 10-0. Let alone with a no hitter. Earlier innings, go for it, but if something is bush league under less than extraordinary circumstances, with a no-hitter going it pretty much doubles.

It'd be bush league if we had 5 hits and we tried laying down a bunt with the score 10-0. Let alone with a no hitter. Earlier innings, go for it, but if something is bush league under less than extraordinary circumstances, with a no-hitter going it pretty much doubles.

If that's bush league, then why do we even come out for the 9th inning? Not saying that we'd ever actually come back, but I don't draw a distinction between bunting for a hit and swinging the bat for one in that situation.

My main problem here is that there is some expectation that a team getting no hit shouldn't give 100% and use all weapons available just so that the opposing pitcher has a better shot at getting a no-hitter. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

If I'm a Red Sox fan, what do I care? My team didn't get no-hit and that's all that matters.

I wasn't talking about Red Sox fans. Im talking about you and me. If Liz was throwing a no-hitter in the 9th inning of a 10-0 game, and Crisp or Pedroia dropped a bunt to break it up, I guarantee that the hangout would absolutely explode with hatred towards anything Red Sox.

Archived