Hot Coffey in The House

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time will surely tell about this Coffey fellow, but I think Jordan is going out on a limb here.

I want Coffey to evolve into the next Randy Johnson, but count me in as one of the skeptics.

If Hobgood, Henry, Tolliver, Wirsch, Cowan, Berry and Coffey all turn out to be MLB pitchers I will never doubt Jordan again.

The 2009 Baltimore Orioles draft is definitely one of the weirdest drafts I'm sure I will ever see them make that's for sure

If this happens, Jordan will become a religious figure in the baseball world.

If two of those pitchers are solid major league players, Jordan will have done fine. Usually only one or two players per teams draft even make it to the bigs for a cup of coffee. All of these guys have ability, now they'll have the opportunity to refine it and hopefully stay healthy.

I'll be happy if 3 of the 7 players listed reach or come close to there ceiling. Heck, if 3 out of 7 just become league average I'd be pretty happy, considering that this would be better than what we've dealt with in the past.

Realistically, I think that Henry and Tolliver could be very good bullpen arms, although Henry very well could be a solid 2/3. I think Hobgood ultimately has the stuff of a solid #2, and assuming a full recovery, the same could be said for Coffey unless his stuff really takes off. I question Berry's long term health, and I wonder if he might be better suited as a long man in the pen. I don't know enough about Wirsch to know how he'll develop, as a few sources have said that his repertoire is lacking, but he's put up a solid statline in the GCL. Finally, I like Cowan, and I think he could be a solid back-end starter. Plus there's Martin, who could project nicely if he can stay healthy. These guys will be subject to injury and some guys just flat out won't develop, but I think there's plenty of reason to believe that JJ did quite well here.

Even though your quoted sentences didnt show up on this reply, the key to his bonus IMO is the last quotation paragraph you had. Where it says that JJ and Morales followed him after the injury and realized what an amzing work ethic he had. That IMO is the reason he got more money the offer to Givens.

I have seen several comments on the offer to Givens v the signing bonus to Coffey. IMO, the offer of $770k or so to Givens was not a best and final offer.

It was a negotiating offer and Givens' side was not negotiating or engaging in much discussion - just sitting on their number like Boras tends to do. IMO, Joe Jordan was not going to play that game and decided, based on the time remaining and the difference between request and offer, to stop.

I expect, if Givens were to re-engage and start negotiating in good faith that JJ might respond in kind. JJ has negotiated with scores of draft picks and it's clear, IMO, based on his vast experience that this was not a negotiation that he wanted to continue under those circumstances.

Pete (Baltimore)

What do you think about the Orioles giving $990,000 to a Coffey, high school pitcher who already has a Tommy John under his belt? Do you believe Coffey would have went round 1/2 before the injury? Thanks.

Keith Law

That is the single biggest overpay we've seen so far. Coffey has had TJ surgery ... and isn't back yet. Sure, he could have gone top 50-60 if he was healthy and had a full spring and seen his stuff tick upward as the season went on, but he didn't finish the spring and it's just an educated guess on how well he'll come back from the surgery. I like the prospect, but that price tag shocked me.

Pete (Baltimore)

What do you think about the Orioles giving $990,000 to a Coffey, high school pitcher who already has a Tommy John under his belt? Do you believe Coffey would have went round 1/2 before the injury? Thanks.

Keith Law

That is the single biggest overpay we've seen so far. Coffey has had TJ surgery ... and isn't back yet. Sure, he could have gone top 50-60 if he was healthy and had a full spring and seen his stuff tick upward as the season went on, but he didn't finish the spring and it's just an educated guess on how well he'll come back from the surgery. I like the prospect, but that price tag shocked me.

Another smart KLaw post. How many pitchers in the last few years do you know of that went through TJ surgery and ended up not making it back. It is risky, of course, but if you want premium talent, you pay the premium price. If it were labrum surgery, the O's wouldnt have touched him probably, but it was TJ surgery, the kind of surgery that some players come back from stronger than they were before.....

Archived