Ohlman signs!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you point to where this is?

Tony has not hinted that. It is common knowledge that Givens has no interest in going to college and I remember Tony mentioning he could see him go to a CC or come back for a last second bid before the clock stops. No inside info on that, just conjecture.

Tony did mention there might be a big surprise after the Ohlman signing, but that it would not be Bush. I have no clue what that means.

Tony has not hinted that. It is common knowledge that Givens has no interest in going to college and I remember Tony mentioning he could see him go to a CC or come back for a last second bid before the clock stops. No inside info on that, just conjecture.

Tony did mention there might be a big surprise after the Ohlman signing, but that it would not be Bush. I have no clue what that means.

This was the post:

Just a little more info. The Orioles are working hard to get Ohlman into the fold before Monday's deadline. Don't look for anything to happen with Bush, but there could still be a surprise left.

Let's put it this way... don't start counting your second round compensation pick just yet.

That sure sounds like Givens might be the surprise.

I took it to mean that we might get Givens. I also took the subsequent Sun report as an indication that signing Givens still appears to be unlikely.

Yeah, Givens is about the only big surprise I would think if it werent Bush. Unless we got one of Hoppy or Nadolski, but that wouldnt be majorly groundbreaking. IMO our signing of Berry(HS) knocks Nadolski and Hoppy down and also could mean that JJ views Berry a tad higher than Nadolski or Hoppy though I could be completely off. Maybe Hoppy and Nadolski were never gonna sing for anywhere near a reasonable #, that also could be reaosning to take Berry over those 2.

I'm thinking the only surprise could be Givens, since it appears that Bush is going to college. Kyle Hoppy will not sign, as his personal deadline was the 8th of August, and he is now enrolled at Bucknell to play football. I haven't seen anything on Nadolski, and because he was a heavy lean for college, I doubt he was much more than just a summer follow. I would be very pleased if we made a run at Tyler Naquin, but I guess he'll be at San Juanito CC or Texas A&M.

I'm hoping that something gets done with Givens. At least we could have an interesting 32 hours or so.

Nice job getting Ohlman signed. It was important to get him because we desperately need more position prospects in the minors.

It will be interesting to see the $ total spent on this draft when all is said and done.

So far...

Hobgood (1st) - $2.42M

Townsend (3rd) - $417.6K

Henry (4th) - $365K

Tolliver (5th) - $200K

Dallas (6th) - $150K

Wirsch (7th) - $200K

Berry (9th) - $418K

Ohlman (11th) - ???

Coffey (22nd) - $990K

Martin - $250K

Webb - $250K

Total: $5.66M

Plus that is without Cowan, Bumbry, Kelly, Baker, Palsha, Schutz, Brandhorts, Landry, Mooney, Anderson, Johnson, Mechaw, Planeta, Flacco, Dowdy, and Rivera. We also don't know Ohlman's bonus yet. All of this combined probably pushed the number close to $8M, as of right now.

I'm thinking the only surprise could be Givens, since it appears that Bush is going to college. Kyle Hoppy will not sign, as his personal deadline was the 8th of August, and he is now enrolled at Bucknell to play football. I haven't seen anything on Nadolski, and because he was a heavy lean for college, I doubt he was much more than just a summer follow. I would be very pleased if we made a run at Tyler Naquin, but I guess he'll be at San Juanito CC or Texas A&M.

I'm hoping that something gets done with Givens. At least we could have an interesting 32 hours or so.

Kyle Hoppy has signed as well.

Where did you see this at?

EDIT: Baltimore Sun has the scoop.

Less than 24 hours before Monday's midnight deadline to sign 2009 draft picks, the Orioles agreed to terms with 11th-round selection Michael Ohlman, a high school catcher from Bradenton, Fla., and 28th-round pick Kyle Hoppy, a high school outfielder from Orchard Park, N.Y. They continue to have negotiations with second-round pick Mychal Givens, though the high school shortstop remains unlikely to sign.

"I think we're pretty much done," Orioles amateur scouting director Joe Jordan said. "I don't see anything else happening. Obviously that can change, but I don't think so."

Ohlman, who was the 326th overall pick in June's draft, started his physical Sunday in Baltimore. The right-handed-hitting catcher batted .550 with three home runs and 28 RBIs, and stole 23 bases in his senior season for Lakewood Ranch High. Ohlman, 6 feet 4 and 215 pounds, had signed a letter of intent to play for the University of Miami.

Hoppy, a high school quarterback, had planned to play football and baseball for Bucknell University. He hit .551 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in his senior season for Orchard Park High.

That is awesome.

I wonder what kind of bonus the two of them got. Probably combined close to $1M, if not more.

Great news. I wonder if something was in place about a week ago, when Hoppy had said that he would know his fate by the time practice football practice started (Aug 8th). It's nice to add talent to the system, so I'm certainly glad that I was wrong about this one. Kid is a phenomenal athlete.

ETA: Crazysilver, I think Hoppy was looking for a deal that would pay for his schooling (I think he wanted 250K) plus additional bonus money on top of that. It'll be interesting to see just how much he got, and I wouldn't be surprised to see if Hoppy+Ohlman got more than 1M combined.

Also, would anyone who may be in the know care to add any projection for Hoppy?

Archived