Ohlman signs!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was the post:

That sure sounds like Givens might be the surprise.

At least some people read into my cryptics. :D

Sometimes I have to watch what I put out since my information is so close to the sources that I'm privvy to some inside stuff that could hurt the Orioles' negotiations if I just come right out and tell all.

I'll have more soon on the process as well as direct feedback from Joe Jordan on the guys he signed. I have stuff from right after the dfraft but held back until he was able to sign these guys. Now Joe is able to say what he really meanms without it being used against him in the negotiations. :D

Why doubtful? The report sounded as though he was pretty good defensively.

Yeah, he is. You just never find catchers on the taller side with small bases. Narrow hips. A sign against multiple child births and any appreciable amount of catching for a tall guy.

Yeah, he is. You just never find catchers on the taller side with small bases. Narrow hips. A sign against multiple child births and any appreciable amount of catching for a tall guy.
I wonder what Ohlman is more disappointed about, that he's not likely to last as a catcher if he makes the majors or that he'll never know the joys of childbirth :)

So far...

Hobgood (1st) - $2.42M

Townsend (3rd) - $417.6K

Henry (4th) - $365K

Tolliver (5th) - $200K

Dallas (6th) - $150K

Wirsch (7th) - $200K

Berry (9th) - $418K

Ohlman (11th) - ???

Coffey (22nd) - $990K

Martin - $250K

Webb - $250K

Total: $5.66M

Plus that is without Cowan, Bumbry, Kelly, Baker, Palsha, Schutz, Brandhorts, Landry, Mooney, Anderson, Johnson, Mechaw, Planeta, Flacco, Dowdy, and Rivera. We also don't know Ohlman's bonus yet. All of this combined probably pushed the number close to $8M, as of right now.

from the Sun article:

The Orioles have spent a little under $8.8 million in signing bonuses for their 2009 draft class -- believed to be the second-highest total in club history.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-osdraft0817,0,1319980.story

I'm sure someone will still find a reason to b & moan about it. :rolleyes:

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/morning-musings-1.html

As I wrote last night, director of scouting Joe Jordan sought and received permission to exceed his budget for signing draft picks. Givens receives $800,000 instead of an Oklahoma State education.

This is good news as well. It's good to see they have a little flexibility. I wonder if this means JJ had an 8 million budget. Pretty solid number IMO.

Archived