Knott DFA'd?

Elbren

I'm just curious...and I mean this in all seriousness....

Did Knott do something at Norfolk or Baltimore to get someone higher up mad at him? This is the only reason I can think of as to why he hasn't gotten a shot here.

I think it's more what he didn't do. He didn't really wow anybody in AAA ball and he's in the prime of his career right now.

I'm sure he'll hook on with another club next year, but I suspect that he'll never have much of a career in the majors.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's more what he didn't do. He didn't really wow anybody in AAA ball and he's in the prime of his career right now.

I'm sure he'll hook on with another club next year, but I suspect that he'll never have much of a career in the majors.

He didn't wow anyone in the organization because they don't really grasp the concept that an .850 OPS in an extreme pitcher's environment is pretty darn good. Since his back felt better in June he's been hitting quite well.

But everyone knows the O's aren't interested in one dimensional players unless that dimension is fielding. Or the player in question is making $5M or more a year.

We value Eider Torres more than Jon Knott. Ugg.

How dumb are we? We all talked about how brilliant the O's were for picking up House and Knott. Talked about how 500 at bats or so out of them in the right spots and we just might have a modern-day Lowenstein, Dwyer, Ayala kind of situation. The equivalent of a minor star at bargain basement prices.

Really stupid. We were just unfathomably stupid for thinking these guys would get playing time. Knott and House combined have about as many at bats as Paul Bako does against lefthanded pitching. The '06 PCL home run leader and a catcher who hit .400 in AA last year and they get a tiny fraction of the chance a 35-year-old guy who was the Kansas City #$#%ing Royals' third catcher.

They won't fool me this winter. If they can blackmail or trick more Houses or Knotts into playing for Norfolk next year I won't think for a minute they'll get real opportunities in the majors.

Just a question before I join everyone else in hanging the entire front office in effigy: Was Knott going to automatically become a free agent at the end of the major league season unless we signed him to a new contract?

If so, all this move really does is let him go a month early, and if they weren't going to bring him up, it doesn't make any difference. So, the stupidity was in not bringing him up rather than in DFAing him.

Of course, if we had control of him next year then the FO is really stupid.

No this the O's running out of pitchers before the season is over. Olson has a forearm strain. Either Birkins, Burres or Bell has to start. The O's didn't bring up Penn or Johnson or Wright so there need another reliever. Santo is a cheap purchase.

Why Knott? Who knows. It could have been Stern but they still don't want to admit they didn't get anything for Javy.

Acquiring a 30 year old bad RP to add an arm at the tail end of a dead seaons has zero value. We don't need another RP this season. This season DOESN"T MATTER. Knott at least has a chance to be part of a platoon in LF/DH next season. Any move that is done with this season in mind shows that the FO has no clue. If they are afraid to admit they didn't get anything for Javy, then they are idiots. Because everyone else already knows that Stern is nothing.

The Nationals aren't looking like half as bad an option to follow for the next 10-15 years while we wait out everyone in the current O's organization to die off.

How sad is that considering that Bowden is the GM in Washington? I don't know whether to laugh at this or cry.

Just a question before I join everyone else in hanging the entire front office in effigy: Was Knott going to automatically become a free agent at the end of the major league season unless we signed him to a new contract?

If so, all this move really does is let him go a month early, and if they weren't going to bring him up, it doesn't make any difference. So, the stupidity was in not bringing him up rather than in DFAing him.

Of course, if we had control of him next year then the FO is really stupid.

Knott would have been under the club's control for next season. So he wouldnt have been a FA. Now he will be.

I thought you like McPhail in charge.

I liked the fact that he was supposedly given decision making abilities. I honestly don't know enough about him. But, my post said the "buffoons we've had" since I don't think I can judge MacPhail adequately yet. I liked the Trax deal a lot. But, this move seems foolish and near sighted.

If they are afraid to admit they didn't get anything for Javy, then they are idiots. Because everyone else already knows that Stern is nothing.

With my own eyes I saw Adam Stern throw a 23-hopper from medium right to the vicinity of the infield in Norfolk a few weeks ago. Tell me Jon Knott could provide the citizens of Baltimore that kind of comic relief. You can't do it.

Maybe Knott pulled a House and asked to be DFA'd. Would anyone really blame him? Only so long you can put up with being ignored in favor of Tike Redman, Jay Payton, an injured Jay Gibbons, Brandon Fahey, and probably a few others who the O's found washed up with the driftwood.

With my own eyes I saw Adam Stern throw a 23-hopper from medium right to the vicinity of the infield in Norfolk a few weeks ago. Tell me Jon Knott could provide the citizens of Baltimore that kind of comic relief. You can't do it.

That's approximately 37 less hops than a Jay Payton throw to home.

Say what you want about Bowden, but he's done an OK job adding some decent young talent to the Nationals. Alot better than the O's FO has done over the past decade or so.

Well that ain't saying much. I've added almost as much talent to this organization as the FO has...

Archived