Snyder: better hitter than Reimold?

Frobby

Will Snyder be a better major league hitter than Reimold?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Will Snyder be a better major league hitter than Reimold?

• Yes - his line drive gap hitting will make him the better hitter
    • No - Reimold's power and patience make him the better hitter

Last year, if I recall, Tony ranked Brandon Snyder one rung above Nolan Reimold on the prospect list. Since then, Reimold had a tremendous 6 weeks in AAA and a successful major league debut. Snyder, who is three years younger, hit very well in the AFL last fall in limited AB's (outhitting Reimold and Wieters), posted awesome numbers at Bowie, struggled mightily at Norfolk but is now showing good form in the early going in the AFL. So, as a major leaguer, will Snyder be a better hitter than Reimold?

I say yes. Reimold has more patience and power, but Snyder just seems to have an uncanny ability to square up on the ball and hit everything hard. I'm still puzzled by what Snyder did at Norfolk last year, but I'm convinced that was a fluke.

Thoughts?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year, if I recall, Tony ranked Brandon Snyder one rung above Nolan Reimold on the prospect list. Since then, Reimold had a tremendous 6 weeks in AAA and a successful major league debut. Snyder, who is three years younger, hit very well in the AFL last fall in limited AB's (outhitting Reimold and Wieters), posted awesome numbers at Bowie, struggled mightily at Norfolk but is now showing good form in the early going in the AFL. So, as a major leaguer, will Snyder be a better hitter than Reimold?

I say yes. Reimold has more patience and power, but Snyder just seems to have an uncanny ability to square up on the ball and hit everything hard. I'm still puzzled by what Snyder did at Norfolk last year, but I'm convinced that was a fluke.

Thoughts?

I do not have anything much to add with respect to the AFL. Good numbers, but I really do not know the context of the numbers.

I had heard that the AFL was a "scouting league". It could be that a lot of the prospects that head there are working on different pitches and plate approaches, and the impact that those sorts of adjustments have on the other players may not be an adequate reflection of how players play when the games actually mean something. That's just speculation on my part.

I was pretty impressed with Snyders HWL stats a couple years ago.

I remember he had trouble with off speed offerings back then and a lot of the pitchers were from Japan and they threw more offspeed pitches than fastballs. I thought it was a great move by the O's to put him there at the time and I thought he did very very well.

If Snyder is going to be just as good or a better hitter than Reimold, I will take that in a heartbeat.

Do not forget that Tony gave Reimold a projection of an "All-Star Corner Outfielder" in the end of season 2006 and 2007 prospect lists. I am sure Snyder got ranked above Reimold in the 2008 list was because of his age. I believe Reimold's potential is still largely untapped. Once he gets used to major league pitching, that power should definitely start ringing in full force.

I went with Reimold, but it was a hard decision for me.

The premise of this thread is interesting. It's sort of trying to make the point that we're under rating Snyder. Unfortunately, I personally believe that many here still under rate Reimold. I personally believe he can be a Jason Bay, or at least Jason Werth, type or better as a hitter. He has massive power, good pitch recognition and very good plate discipline. His injuries slowed him down, and continue to be a concern, but his upside as a pure hitter is still immense and perhaps somewhat untapped. While he'll never hit for the average that Snyder likely will, his power and OBP should make him the more feared hitter moving forward.

With my gushing for Reimold out of the way, I also think that Snyder will be the better pure contact guy. I'm still struggling with the comps that have been thrown around for him, but I can't think of any better comps. Simply put, if he's up in a pressure situation, I have as much confidence that he'll make solid contact as I do about just about anyone not named Wieters. Indeed, maybe that's the right comp...a Wieters-lite. Similar type of hitter, just not quite as gifted across the board (which also isn't a knock on him).

I think their upsides are something like .285/.375/.500 for Reimold and .310/.370/.480 for Snyder. Reimold is probably more likely to reach his upside, considering he's already done it at the MLB level and Snyder struggled a bit at AAA, but I am confidant that both guys will get pretty close to those levels.

I am not sure who will be better but if Snyder makes it to the Majors and can be a above average player that would be so huge for the Orioles. Snyder had ups and downs and I remember a time when most people here thought he would never make it to AAA. Now it seems 2 out of our top 3 draft picks develop into very good prospects which is something very very important for this club.

Now if just Rowell could develop....

I thought Snyder was a better hitter last offseason and continue to believe that - but it's not a big difference between them IMO. Snyder showed significantly better strike zone judgement last year v 2008 and I expect he will continue to close that BB rate gap with Reimold as BS adjusts and matures as a hitter. I expect Snyder to close the HR gap as well.

IMO, the big difference in perception regarding their hitting abilities is from the positions they play. If both hit for an ops near 850, the LFer will be considered better relative to the league average for that position.

I think both could settle down into an ops range of 825 to 875 as major leaguers.

I think the cieling for Reimold is actually higher in the slugging dept. My two concerns for him continue to be his injuries and streakiness. He has a little Luke Scott in him, but he's a better hitter, IMO.

I have not seen Snyder play, so I can't really judge this one. The big difference between Scott and Reimold is Reimold's ability to get basehits on pure speed. I can recall a coupl of multi-hit games last year when he was slumping and never squared up on a ball. It is for this reason why I fear the move to 1B for Reimold. I just don't want him to bulk up and lose the quickness that sets him apart.

For those who have seen Snyder play, how does speed or lack thereof play a role in his offensive production (beyond obvious steals or triples numbers)?

I have not seen Snyder play, so I can't really judge this one. The big difference between Scott and Reimold is Reimold's ability to get basehits on pure speed. I can recall a coupl of multi-hit games last year when he was slumping and never squared up on a ball. It is for this reason why I fear the move to 1B for Reimold. I just don't want him to bulk up and lose the quickness that sets him apart.

For those who have seen Snyder play, how does speed or lack thereof play a role in his offensive production (beyond obvious steals or triples numbers)?

For the record, I haven't seen Snyder either - well once, so I'm totally going off of the opinions I've read over the last few years.

On Reimold, you're right, his speed helps him. This probably goes without saying, but what also helps him is the fact that he tries...like a lot more than most guys. People with speed who bust their butt up the line force bad throws and he did that several times last year.

Reimold's exactly the type of guy I want on this team moving forward. He has skill, tools and heart. He's a great example for everyone else on this team, and he provides that emotional factor that BRob, Markakis and Wieters may not.

Archived