Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

Yes. The Reds know they have a potential stud bat that will be a solid RFer for well under-market value.
The comparison between Bruce and Wieters is pretty damn spot on for this example.

We know what we have in Wieters, just like they knew what they had in Bruce, just like we know what we have in Jones, and just like we'll know what we're likely to have in Snyder and Bell after 2010.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this interview. My favorite part:

"I want to win the job and be the every day first baseman. The home grown guy that's been an Oriole and is going to stay an Oriole. I know those guys that went up this last year and did well in the big leagues. I want to be one of those guys as well.

"I had a good game on offense today, but on defense it was probably one of the best days I've had. My defense at first has improved and those are the things that are going to get me to the big leagues. Putting offense and defense together is what I need and I hope it continues."

How can you NOT root for this kid?

Try selling that to some Hangouters.:laughlol:

Potential studs like Matt Garza and Delmon Young do get traded, you know.

Everyone here loves Adam Jones.

It is the "inconceivability" of some posters to believe that we would not trade Adam Jones under any conditions that is more disappointing to me. Presumably, if we dealt AJ, it would be for an equal talent that we would be equally pleased to have participate in our future.

The more I think about it, why not have Snyder at 1B and Bell at 3B. Instead of spending money on stopgaps give Snyder and Bell the chance and more importantly spend the money on a good pitcher.

Except that we may not spend the money on a good pitcher.

The starting pitching is not where I want it to be. You will probably not get any meaningful starting pitching through free agency. I've said this 100 times, we are going to grow the arms and buy the bats.
source - Andy MacPhail as quoted by Roch, Apr 4

For anyone who has trouble rooting for Snyder, there's always this...

...in his first year after shoulder surgery.

Thanks, it had been a while since I had seen that. By the way, Snyder has trimmed down quite a bit since that video was taken.

I'm sure Rhyne Hughes, Michael Aubrey, Tyler Townsend and Joseph Mahoney all WANT to be the Orioles everyday 1B next year... I am no where near as excited about him as I am about Josh Bell.

Great post, because Tyler Townsend's chances of starting at 1B next year for the Orioles are about the same as Snyder's.

I don't agree and think you are selling our team short. It's easy to do since we haven't had a winning season in 12 years and just came off oa 64-98 campaign. But if Snyder and Bell can be .825-ish bats (in 2011), that will be plenty to round out a very well-balanced offense. The O's had about a .710 OPS at 1st and 3rd last year. Replace that with .825 and you have a team OPS that's above average, even without improvement from our other young players.

Again Jay Bruce was at a .773 OPS last year.

Adam Jones last year finished at a .792 OPS.

To expect Snyder and Bell to have an OPS of .825 just a year after they make their debut supposedly is unrealistic IMO.

I think you are being overly optimistic when looking at the timeline for Snyder's and Bell's progression.

It's easy to do when they are doing so well in the AFL, but there have been plenty of players that have done well in the AFL and struggled in AAA the next season.

To expect Snyder and Bell to have an OPS of .825 just a year after they make their debut supposedly is unrealistic IMO.

I think you are being overly optimistic when looking at the timeline for Snyder's and Bell's progression.

It's easy to do when they are doing so well in the AFL, but there have been plenty of players that have done well in the AFL and struggled in AAA the next season.

Despite what you think, these guys have talent and the fact that they have done it in the upper minors and now in the AFL does show something.

They should be able to get 200+ ML at bats this year..If they can hold their own, say a 725ish OPS or better, in those 200 at bats, you have to like their chances to be a solid contributor in 2011 and ready to really be good in 2012.

Again, you have already agreed that Pie, Reimold, Wieters, Markakis, BRob and Jones should give us around an 815 OPS...So, if we can get a 780ish OPS out of our CIers, that is going to be very good...Get an upgrade at SS and you have an everyday lineup producing an OPS in the 790-800 range.

That is a contender-like offense.

And Nolan Reimold was at .830. What's your point?

You give them that opportunity, and if it takes an extra year, that's the risk you take.

It's how you develop. Seriously, would you have signed a long-term guy when Brooks put up a .597 OPS in 1958? When Ripken put up a .278 OPS over 39 ABs in 1981? When Ryne Sandberg put up back-to-back sub-.700 OPS in 1982 and 1983?

We can live with the possibility that Snyder or Bell or both fail to put up an .825 OPS in 2011. What we don't want to live with is an enormous outlay of cash and a draft pick because we live in a world of irrational fear and hyperbolic discounting.

Archived