Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

You have got to love this interview with Brandon Snyder after he had a monster game in the AFL:

http://masnsports.com/2009/10/brandon-snyder-on-his-big-game.html

"I never really thought about until as of late," Snyder, who will turn 23 next month, said. "I want to win the job and be the every day first baseman. The home grown guy that's been an Oriole and is going to stay an Oriole. I know those guys that went up this last year and did well in the big leagues. I want to be one of those guys as well."
I want to be one of those guys as well.

This is why the plan is going to work. We have had guys come up and have success. And the guys beneath have seen it, they believe it, they are psyched.

I can't wait to see Brandon Snyder in the bigs.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have got to love this interview with Brandon Snyder after he had a monster game in the AFL:

http://masnsports.com/2009/10/brandon-snyder-on-his-big-game.html

This is why the plan is going to work. We have had guys come up and have success. And the guys beneath have seen it, they believe it, they are psyched.

I can't wait to see Brandon Snyder in the bigs.

Seriously, think about how much that changes the equation if Snyder and Bell both live up to their potential. I guess we can dream.

Seriously, think about how much that changes the equation if Snyder and Bell both live up to their potential. I guess we can dream.

This is a huge year for both. And it's going to determine a lot about how much money we spend, and how we spend it, next off-season.

This is a huge year for both. And it's going to determine a lot about how much money we spend, and how we spend it, next off-season.

This is why I still think that next year is still going to be a "building" year. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, either.

If Bell and Snyder get promoted to the bigs and do well next season, we may be able to throw a ton of money at a TOR starter or a shortstop next off-season. Priorities could change drastically.

I like that he's focused on "winning" the job. He didn't say, I'm just trying to work on things...I'll be there when I earn it, cliche.

He wants that job. I don't think he'll get it...but it's a very specific goal which is nice to see.

Everyone likes to talk about the "culture of losing," but there is another "culture" that's developing...the culture of competition.

With the arrival of a lot of young guys, comes a lot of healthy competition for real roster spots...solidifying their standing in the bigs. That's real and tangible.

This isn't some psychoanalysis...gee, he's forgotten how to win mumbo-jumbo...this is straight up "shoot, I want to be a big league player and there are spots to be had, I better bust my butt."

This is why I still think that next year is still going to be a "building" year. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, either.

If Bell and Snyder get promoted to the bigs and do well next season, we may be able to throw a ton of money at a TOR starter or a shortstop next off-season. Priorities could change drastically.

Look at Adam Jones, Matt Wieters, Nick Markakis etc.

You don't really know what you have with those players until their 2nd year meaning 1B and 3B will still be a question mark even if those two are called up. And then you are using 2011 as a building year as well to see what you have with those two over a full season.

I expect Snyder and Bell to struggle just like all the others did, and they'll likely be a drag on the lineup while they try to adjust at the ML level.

And you can mention Reimold's instant success, but he was more advanced than all of those players except Wieters because of his college background. Injuries delayed his arrival IMO.

A Longoria type debut for a prospect is very rare.

Nice to see the early AFL performance and the good attitude, which Snyder has always had.

Snyder was taken in the 2005 draft after HS prospects like McCutcheon, Maybin and Bruce (who apparently our FO coveted). If Snyder had not been hurt, he likely would have arrived in the majors around the same time.

Snyder still retains a respectable upside, IMO. Baseball America rated the top 1B prospects in the minors last year and left off Snyder and did not include him among honorable mentions either. I am not optimistic, but I wonder where BA will put Snyder this year and how many of last year's 1B he has passed.

1. So do I.

2. He sounds like a man who is very anxious to get the heck out of Norfolk. Are the dimensions so bad there that they can get into our young players' heads? If so, why not move them? I don't want to coddle anybody but it sounds like something should be done.

The easy bet is for each of these guys to struggle when they arrive. But who's to say that one or both won't come up and pull a Reimold? Obvioulsy Reimold had more time at each level than Snyder has. But the knock on Snyder has always been a lack of a position and enough power for a corner IFer. I think he's answered both of these questions to a certain degree. While not a Tex at 1st, he seems to be adequate and can get better with more time. And until he hit Norfolk he was showing a natural power progression. To me there's no reason to believe that Snyder will instantly fall on his face when he arrives. I expect a reasonable average and the power will come later. I don't see any other option other than mortgaging our future for a bat like Gonzalez or Fielder. No thanks.

I'm sure Rhyne Hughes, Michael Aubrey, Tyler Townsend and Joseph Mahoney all WANT to be the Orioles everyday 1B next year... I am no where near as excited about him as I am about Josh Bell.
While Bell is pretty unanimously the better prospect, I don't think its nearly as wide of a chasm as you imply.

Look at Adam Jones, Matt Wieters, Nick Markakis etc.

You don't really know what you have with those players until their 2nd year meaning 1B and 3B will still be a question mark even if those two are called up. And then you are using 2011 as a building year as well to see what you have with those two over a full season.

I expect Snyder and Bell to struggle just like all the others did, and they'll likely be a drag on the lineup while they try to adjust at the ML level.

And you can mention Reimold's instant success, but he was more advanced than all of those players except Wieters because of his college background. Injuries delayed his arrival IMO.

A Longoria type debut for a prospect is very rare.

You're right Trea. We outta just trade Bell, Snyder, Markakis, Matusz and Tillman for one year of Gonzalez. Then we can trade Wieters, Jones, Pie, Reimold, and Roberts for Fielder, because gosh, we need a DH. :rolleyes:

Your idea of trading away these young guys because it might take another year or two before we are really ready to compete is crazy!

Archived